A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Overeager for my jeans skirt...  (Read 2197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MisfitRed
scarlet crimson sanguine rose carmine vermillion

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2005 10:23:49 PM »

Ya know those classic DIY jeans skirts where you undo the inseam and sew in triangle shaped gussets to make a skirt out of a pair of normal jeans?

Ya know the part where you're supposed to undo the crotch seam and overlap it and sew it up so it gets smoothed out?

Well I did that part, but silly me didn't rip the seam out high enough (though at the time I thought I had), and I sewed in the back panel and even topstitched the seams so they'd lay flat and I was so excited and then I tried it on...

Kinda looks like I'm wearing a bustle that's coming untied and hanging down around my thighs (these were big jeans so the crotch is kinda low). 

As ye sew, so shall ye rip...  Just wanted to share my frustration at myself with a sympathetic audience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There's no smile of an angel without the wrath of God..."
~HIM, "Heartache Every Moment"
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005 06:07:44 PM »

You are not alone here! I did something very similar only mine looked like I had a horn in front!! Don't feel bad this can be fixed. Just remove the part you put in and then open the seam up higher. Then add your gusset again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dawn
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005 06:13:52 PM »

Don't fret! I have made several of those kinds of mistakes. The first was trying to make a jeans skirt, but a long one, so I did quite a horrid job of trying to patch up the space, making it very narrow so I'd have enough fabric, etc. The other, similar, error, was trying to turn some tapered jeans into HUGE bellbottoms, but I cut the lovely fabric piece by the wrong dimensions so it was much too short for the leg.  These were both committed as an aspiring fourteen year old hippie-chick, of course... From this perspective I'm rather glad neither of those experiments worked out.  My gigantic striped orange green and red courduroy bellbottoms, held up with a piece of twine, were bad enough.

My God I can't believe I just shared those distasters with the world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la vie c'est patant
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005 09:17:10 PM »

If you don't laugh too hard no one will ever know! Shhh It's okay to think or type our mistakes but don't say them outloud! No one will know I promise! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CynthiaButterfly

Love is being stupid together

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005 04:23:35 PM »

I have been making and altering my own clothes off and on the last 10 years or so.... I have yet to complete a project (with or without a pattern) and not have to undo, rip a seam, frog, cut off and redo at least once on every project.
I guess it is just the perfectionist in me. or maybe I just suck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
guitar*girl
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005 04:58:46 PM »

o_O I... don't really understand what you're saying. kind of takes me a while to understand something, hehe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've lost my sanity; can I borrow yours?
choirgirl
melodramatic photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005 11:11:21 AM »

Every time I try to make a jean skirt like that, the same thing happens to me, except it is in the back. The front always turns out great and then I get all excited and I hurry through the rest so I can put it on and show it off (or something) and then I ruin the back. I had better luck with the method that makes a straight seam down back though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Sweater Snake
Tute Tuesday: Take Anywhere Picnic Playset
Crafting For Good

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...