A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
151 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Time Moccasin Maker, Help!!  (Read 3176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

shelbalou

Vintage finds are ecofriendly :)

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2009 10:03:45 AM »

My boyfriend is an avid hunter and with Deer season starting in a few days I want to attempt making some Moccasins from the deer leather him and his roommate are going to make for me. But I have some questions. Looking around on google i've found some tutes on how to make them but I really want to wear them outside as a normal shoe not a house slipper. So my questions are about Rubber Soles.
Where do i get rubber for soles?
How to apply them to the Moccasins?
Do I need Fancy tools?
Thanks for your help guys! I'm really super excited to make these and I really hope they turn out on how i want them to look.
Ps. If you have made moccs and have pics please post them here i would love to see them!! or if you have a really awesome tutes u swear by please post them as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009 07:10:15 AM »

Here's a supplier of shoe soling I've purchased from:  http://www.eleatherworks.com/home.php?cat=782

They also sell shoe cement.  Be aware it is extremely toxic!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
shelbalou

Vintage finds are ecofriendly :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009 08:33:47 PM »

thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pinkweeds
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010 12:38:32 PM »

huh- I don't have rubber soles on mine and wear them outside all the time- pretty sure the native americans did too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check my blog for tutorials and more things I make!

http://la-bouilloire-noire.blogspot.com/
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010 04:46:13 PM »

I guess you already dealt with this topic, but here's my thoughts:

You can actually make them and then attach an outer sole of moose or bison leather (which are much thicker than deer leather). It will last a good long while and you can take it off and replace it in a couple of years. The moose-hide moc's I have are built like that. I've had them for over a decade and they were second-hand to begin with and the outer sole is only just wearing out (though I don't wear them too often now that I live in a city; pavement chews them up faster).

I've long been wondering about the feasibility of sewing a moc to a fliflop as a sole, but since I haven't done it yet, I can't comment on the effectiveness.

For water-proofing, you can spray the boots from top to bottom with white grease. I think one of the bigger name brands is Jiffy Lube. I waterproofed mine with boiled bacon fat, but it had the side effect of staining the leather darker. Multiple coats of mink oil would work (it also stains), but regardless of method, pay extra attention to the seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_naked_doll
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010 03:46:17 PM »

Alexus1325- just don't try to e600 them to a pair of flip flops! because I tried that and it failed. I bet shoe cementing them to flips would be okay though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DangitDana
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010 09:00:47 PM »

in regards- i am in the process of making shoe( sooo much more difficult than I thought it would be) but i went to a shoe repair store and bought some of the rubber they use for shoe soles. Pretty easy. the reason you can't use any ol' glue is because it doesn't flex! (the people at the shoe repair filled me in a lot about shoes techniques like that) so if you use a standard glue it cracks. Shoe cement works, or I think you might be able to use a type of contact cement/glue that is made for rubber and/or foam. also i read on another post about using vinyl floor squares that come with a self adhesive back? might work.... good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...