A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
237 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does digitizing at home make it useful for professional machines?  (Read 3374 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hayatiggs

We're all mad here...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2009 03:26:10 PM »

I need my logo digitized, and the embroidery stores here start at $60 to have it sent off to be digitized.. Just wondering if anyone here does that, or has used an online place to have anything done. I am downloading Sophie Sew right now, but the thing is I don't have an embroidery machine, so whatever I digitize will have to be taken to a professional. Does it matter what program you use to digitize, if I don't embroider it at home?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Harley*
My Pinterest
TheDIYninja

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009 04:08:06 PM »

ummmmm im just guessing but its probably the store(S) policy to only  use guarenteed designs from their trusted digitizers. However, if you knwo someone with a machine that can embroider what you need for you , you can check on other digitising services( or favors from online buds)

Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

http://thediyninja.blogspot.com
My Twitter
lowree
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009 05:30:27 PM »

You may also, before you invest $ into the design to check w/ your local embroidery store that you plan on going to, that this design you want is not breaking any copy right issues too.  I know the store we have here, WILL NOT embroider any copy right logos etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CoutureCreations

So many crafts, so little time!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010 06:51:05 AM »

Jumping in here...
I digitize and no, there is a standard machine format that you can request your design be sent to you in (.dst) that is a file type that can be stitched on any machine.

As for copyright and stitching, etc.  you are better off to have it checked out by whom you are having stitch it.

So...$60 huh...I guess I need to update my pricing!  Roll Eyes  I usually charge about $15-$25 depending on the design - but that is also considering that I stitch it out.  A good digitizer is going to have a lot of questions for you too - what are you planning to stitch it on, what size etc.  And different applications (what you're stitching on) is going to make for a different digitized design.  In other words, putting on a hat is a whole different process to putting it on a shirt front, or a towel, or a canvas bag. 

Hope that helps you out a little bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010 03:18:51 PM »

Paying someone experienced to digitize the design for you will save you a whole heap of time and effort.
Digitizing is not as simple as it sounds and a well designed and digitized logo is a representative of your business. 
There is a learning curve when it comes to learning the digitizing software...I have experimented with Sophie Sews and had problems with it, and I am an experienced digitizer.

Check with your embroiderer, they may do it for you, and keep multiple copies in multiple locations for safe keeping.

GL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LintBunny
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010 02:05:21 PM »

You'll need a pro if you have never done it before...there are a lot of details that are hard to master (such as stitch density, reducing layers) not to mention embroidery software is challenging to master.

Overall, to have it done so it works out the way you would want, $60 is worth it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Amy~
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010 04:41:43 AM »

$60 is a lot!!  Is it a simple design or intense?  Ive always found local brick and mortar embroidery shops high priced.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...