A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two baby quilt gifts-- my first quilts! (6 pics)  (Read 2082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MissJessica
« on: August 20, 2009 09:56:53 PM »

Hi!

I normally post in the clothing forum, so I thank you in advance for your hospitality.

I made two quilts for two friends having babies. I actually have about 15 friends having babies (it seems like) so I thought for a first time quilt project, baby-size would be a good idea and also knock some gifts out of the way.

Here is the first:

It was for my friend Michelle, who didn't find out the baby's gender until it was born... And now we have Clementine Virginia! The blocks had text ironed on because Michelle and I and most of her friends at the shower went to grad school together for Creative Writing. So the words all revolve around motherhood, babies, children, childhood, etc. the finished product is about 36 inches x 45 inches. The little tiny 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch squares all came from my scrap bag. In fact, this entire quilt was made from recycled or repurposed materials. Very cool.

Here's the back: (my friend Meghan and I collaborated for this project, so we got special squares on the back)

After I finished that one, I had about this many squares left:

I imagine I'll be using them for some time to come.

Next I made a small quilt for my other friend, whose name is also Michele Smiley It's just 24x24 inches:

I kept it simple and picked colors I know she likes. She's having a girl and she's 90% sure they'll name her Ruby. I embroidered a little spiral to quilt the front to the back (the back is just white fleece):

And then I attempted satin blanket binding. I read a lot of your posts on this topic, and I think it helped me immensely. I hope this doesn't get me into any trouble on this forum, but I must tell you that the binding was not difficult. The mitered corners were tricky. The binding on the first quilt actually caused me a lot more grief. (It was double fold bias tape.) So thank you all for your tips on satin binding!

And here's one more shot of the only baby I have, Baby Love, getting in on the action:

Sorry, Baby Love, the quilt is for Michele. Her shower is Saturday so I hope she likes it!

Thanks for reading and thanks for letting me crash your forum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009 11:06:30 PM »

These are really cute, but what I really like is seeing my name (Michele) in the same sentence as "is having a baby girl". hahahaa!!  Coincindentally, I have also very recently fallen in love with the name Ruby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009 11:45:50 PM »

I like the pattern of blocks on the first one - small colorful blocks around larger white squares! Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 02:51:10 AM »

I absolutely adore your first quilt. Like you, I have drawers stuffed full of the tiniest scraps which I can't bear to throw away, so I will definitely be bookmarking this quilt for future reference! Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplySandy
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 03:36:55 AM »

Great way to start your quilting life.  I too, love the first one.  Wish I could read some of the squares.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissJessica
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009 09:16:54 AM »

Thanks so much everyone!

For SimplySandy:

I wish I had taken more photos of the blocks themselves. They were all so different. The shower guests knew they were to submit a line or quote about the topic, either their own words or someone else's, but they didn't know we were making a quilt so they were surprised as well.

sweetpea74: I feel you. Most of these squares were cut from the tiniest scraps of fabric that my late grandmother had saved. She inspired me to be less wasteful. As a result, I didn't have to buy anything for this quilt! I can't wait to see what you do with your scraps.

Thanks again, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009 11:24:15 AM »

What beautiful quilts. Smiley I really like the first one. I know what you mean about not wanting to throw away scraps. Even when they're tiny, the patterns still shine through. I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for reference. I know I'll use the pattern someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scifimama
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009 08:15:16 AM »

I love the idea with the quotes!  Fantastic job, and the colors are so bright and happy.  Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...