Ok, so I don't have 101 ways yet, but maybe with a little community additions, we could get that far?
I don't know about everyone else, but I've really been feeling the recession. My friends are losing there house, my job didn't give out raises, the cost of my college went way up, prices of just about everything seem increased, local businesses are closing.....and I've decided to craft all
my xmas gifts this year to help save money.
I still buy from craft stores etc, but I'd like to think I've become a greener, more thrifty crafter now. So here, I will share my ways to save, and hopefully you'll add some too (please use numbers?).
1. Pressed Flowers - I've been pressing lots of flowers lately...what better way to create beautiful decorations for free! I simply put the flowers flat, between paper towels, and but them at the bottom of a pile of books, or a heavy object I know I won't touch, and come back a few weeks later...
2. Feathers - I'm constantly on a feather hunt for clean feathers (we have chickens, and live near forests full of pretty feathers) which I use to decorate cards frequently!
3. Craiglist.com - The free section - one man/lady's trash is another ones treasure after all
4. Freecycle.org - A great way to recycle and reuse
5. Garage sales - nuff said?
6. Lowes/Homedepos Free Paint samples cards - don't hurt me...but everyonce in a while when I go, I'll pocket a few cool colors for later use. Great for inchies, cards, scrapbooking, and ATCs
7. Friends/Family - Set up trades of craft stuff you don't want/need (I do that with stickers/embellishments)
8. Craftster - not a source I've tapped yet, but I've seen some pretty cool supply swaps
9. Shells - I've seen shells for sale in stores, as well as shell stickers and pre-holed shells for jewelry. Why not pick up a bunch for free at the beach on your next vaca or ask a friend to bring some back?
10. Rocks - I've taken up rock painting as a great way to make some free ornaments
11. Bottlecaps - Jewlery to name one use - check out this site for lots more!
12. Mason jars - Many uses, many ways to decorate! Seems everybody has a few lying around collecting dust
13. Old Clothes - I almost gave away some clothes that I thought were too small, but then I eyed the buttons, and the fabric....and got some great ideas from the forums
14. Goats milk - This one isn't possible for everyone, but my boyfriend is a goat farmer, and the owners agreed to let me have some milk for free to make goats soap with! yay.
15. Reusing candles - Ever burn a candle down really low? Well when they get to a certain point (throw away point), sometimes I'll take the wax(just the wax mind you) and scrape it into storage jars. When I have a bunch, I'll microwave it (in separate layers) till its melted, put a wick in a glass jar, then pour each layer . Now I have a beautiful new candle!
Ok...heres a few, you go now....