A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
120 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beaded Butterfly Flock (fat with photos)... now with link to Tutorial  (Read 11429 times)
Tags for this thread: butterfly , beaded , holiday_party_accessories  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
karen09
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009 06:48:14 AM »

Oops  Undecided Ijust started beading. I don't know the size or names. From the pictures or maybe just my computer made them look like the ones that are a little bigger. Sorry I'll double check next time before I ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
AmysSculpturalBeading

www.sculpturalbeading.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009 08:30:12 PM »

You're fine! Didn't mean to sound rude, sorry!

If anyone makes these and uses them somehow, post photos Smiley

I've made a bracelet and used them as pendants but haven't taken photos yet, will add them when I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps!
AmysSculpturalBeading

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009 10:52:14 PM »

More Bracelets and necklaces

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps!
Wraith_Mistress
Mistess of Wraiths

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009 10:13:48 AM »

I love the choker! I would want one on Black Ribbon with a Red Butterfly.

Those are awesome. Checking out the tutorial now.

Marlene
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karen09
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009 12:14:38 PM »

ok so i made some last night. i made three. the first is a little wonky and the last two came out pretty good. not as good as yours, but im getting there.  Cheesy i think it was partly because i got the wrong wire. i got 28 gauge and it doesnt say parawire, it just says beading wire. is there a difference? ill post pics when i get home. yay thanks for the tute! ooh is it possible to make them bigger. like do more loops for the wings, instead of four loops do maybe like 6 or 7?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.

lriley39
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009 03:10:07 PM »

I love them you have some great ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmysSculpturalBeading

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009 06:10:27 PM »

Yes, it is possible to make them bigger with more loops, but after about 4 the loops tend to come apart from each other too much and it's easy to add too many or too few beads meaning that loops start to overlap and slip behind each other. You can try lacing them, or using the basic french technique for larger wings: http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadwire.html]http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/bfbasic.html[/url, like the butterfly mobile BeadedByAmy has done.

I use Parawire because I know exactly what it is made of and that its guaging is reliable. You can use any wire you like and any guage you like, but different guages will give you different effects and strengths. Check out this for more wire explanations: [url]http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadwire.html

I look forward to photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps!
karen09
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009 10:19:12 PM »

ok so here are my butterflies. i have only made five. i plan to destroy the first cuz it is horrendous. haha but what can i say im learning. and i did learn alot from that first one. let me know what i need to do to perfect my technique. i had started the french beaded flowers. but i think ill wait to get better wire. this one is kinda flimsy.
ok so here it goes....
first attempt

a little wonky, yes i know  Cheesy ok a lotta wonky haha

second, and so forth...

getting better, right? Tongue

thanks for the tute. im really enjoying making these. im making them for my daughter....so i say!!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmysSculpturalBeading

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009 10:45:17 PM »

Looking good for a newbie!

Try to include only as many beads as you need to wrap tightly around the last loop so that you don't have gaps. Also make sure that you have the wings facing the right way around, there will be an obvious 'back' and 'front'. The front will be the side with the least wire exposed. I see you're using cut beads, which I don't use often because I am a bit rough and they break on me, but your butterflies look good with them. I would be using gold colored wire with that color of beads, but that's my preference. You seem to be getting less and less exposed wire between wings with each attempt, which is good! Make sure you twist the wire so there are no gaps in that as well.

I'm so happy you like the pattern and tute! What are you going to do with them for your daughter?

I got to go, the twins I nanny for are getting annoyed I'm ignoring them :S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps!
karen09
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009 05:46:33 AM »

ooops! i should have used gold wire with these beads. i didnt realize it until i read it.  Cheesy it would be the obvious thing to do but of course i missed it. it was partly cuz i was impulisive and impatient. but i went searching through my craft room last night, (but if my husband asks i was organizing) and i found gold wire! it was wire i had stole borrowed from my aunt. im not usre what guage it is because it was just coiled up with out a spool. shes from mexico and buys her supplies God knows where, but its always good stuff. two were too big for the beads but one was just right. so im guessing its either 24 or 26. yay! and its gold! double yay! i want to make some more butterflies and then i want to try my hand at the flowers again.

my intentions for the butterflies is to make clips for Marilyn, but she always yanks things out of her hair so im making plenty in case she loses them or her Godmother's kids steal them, which they probably will. i dont know whether to use regualr bobby pins or those other bendy/clicky clips. i think her hair is too fine for the bobby pins.

Thanks for the tips. ill keep them in mind when i make this next batch. so far ive only made 5. its taking me longer to string the beads on wire. i dont have a bead spinner, but luckily the beads are strung on regular string making it easier except, ive fumbled and dropped the string a couple of times and now have loose beads. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...