A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,640
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bye Bye Birdie Sling!  (Read 6031 times)
Tags for this thread: amy_butler , sling , birdie_sling  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

BattleAxe
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009 04:55:04 AM »

Thanks!

Yes, there is definitely a lot left over.  Especially if you don't follow her layout (which is wasteful). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThirdMargaret

I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009 08:10:49 AM »

Gorgeous bag!  I've been lusting after that fabric since it came out....great application!  I agree that a cool button would look nice with a loop for closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eroe
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009 08:28:27 AM »

That is a gorgeous looking bag. I also agree that it's best not to follow the designer's pattern layout because you'll be left with a lot of small scraps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ntaga
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009 02:25:26 PM »

Really nice work!  I've made several of these in the past, and find that Amy Butler's fabric requirements for purses are way off base.  You can easily make two Birdie slings with what she suggests you buy.  I now purchase 1 yard of fabric for the exterior and 1.5 for the lining and pockets.  Even then, you'll have a little left for patchwork or a small zippered pouch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunfilly
Sew Sonny

"imagination is worth more then knowledge"Albert E

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009 03:48:05 PM »

Love this bag. But why oh why did you post the link to the fabric, now I have to have some  Shocked and I can't afford it. Woe is me.
I like the idea of the flap and button. Some suggestions for the left over fabric.

Wallet
eye Glass case maybe two
Cosmetic bag

And if you travel
jewelry bag
lingerie bag.

Cover for a journal or agenda/appointment book.

That bag is big enough to hold all that.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009 03:49:54 PM by sunfilly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/DLPuckettDesigns

"What is in my minds eye flows though my body and then through my finger tips. That is me and my art."
Sonny Puckett
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009 08:17:11 PM »

That is a gorgeous looking bag. I also agree that it's best not to follow the designer's pattern layout because you'll be left with a lot of small scraps.

For the next time around...instead of cutting everything on the fold do I just cut out the whole shape? Or do I just get more creative about where I do the folds? This is the first time I've used a pattern so I was really careful to follow the directions EXACTLY how they were written Smiley.

Sunfilly - thank you so much for the great accessory ideas! You reminded me that I've been wanting to make a case for my many many pairs of glasses Smiley. I have leftover fusible fleece from the project too so I think that will be perfect. There is room inside this bag for at least 10 other little bags!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StripedPajamas
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009 02:25:14 PM »

Ah, I love that fabric as well! It's available at my local fabric shop for about 9 or 10 dollars. They have an online shop as well, SpoolSewing.com absolutely adorable designer fabrics, perfect for the Birdie Sling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my new fashion blog here
Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010 08:32:12 PM »

Whew! I just finished my first Amy Butler bag and man was it difficult, so I totally know what you mean. Mine was a diaper bag, but yours is adorable! I think I understand how her patterns work now (you just have to read everything REALLY literally) and I may tackle this bag one day Smiley

Beautiful choice of fabrics, as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...