A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's not about the &#*! polar bears  (Read 3074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
orangeponcho
« on: August 05, 2009 07:43:35 PM »

Hey everyone!

This project started because I wanted to try a free standing patch with a whipped stitch around the edges.  I have one friend that I instantly thought of - he and I always sit around talking about politics and the environment.  He loves putting stickers that make a big statement on his computer and then sitting in cafes with the sticker prominently displayed, generally in the hope that someone will start talking to him about it.  (For a while his computer said "Vasectomies prevent abortion." Before that was the HRC yellow equal sign for gay rights.)  I was going to stay with him during his birthday, so wanted to make a happy birthday/thanks-for-letting-me-eat-your-food present.  I asked him, "If you had a patch of a political nature, what would it say?"

This was his reply:

to change your image viewing settings please click here

(The close-ups turned out pretty blurry..)

When I started it, I was living in an off the grid community in California, so I had to use my own handwriting instead of a fancy computerized font, unfortunately.  Luckily, a great artist and illustrator lived on this community, so I got her to draw a polar bear for me.  She made a sketch that I traced while defining the lines a bit more.  Her drawing pretty much dictated the size of the patch.  I used split stitch and some back stitch for the outlining, satin stitch on the lettering, and long and short for the background.   The whipped stitch around the edges was actually really difficult, and I wasn't 100% happy with how it came out.  For some reason, the satin stitch was really hard to pull tight when it stretched over larger areas, something that I hadn't had a problem with in the past. You can see how the top and bottom of the first "I" don't lie flat.  I got really good at the long and short stitch though, as there was so much of it.

This piece was totally hilarious to make, especially while on various forms of public transportation. Some people didn't get it, others thought it was hilarious, others were really offended by it.  For anyone who doesn't get it, I think the gist is that the environment affects everyone, human survival depends on it, and doing something about it is not just to aid fluffy megafauna.  It was an amazing conversation starter for me while embroidering it, so I hope it's a great conversation starter for my friend while wearing it.

And yes, polar bears are cute, so we should save the environment for them along with everyone else.

-Diane
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 09:02:08 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ducky2010
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009 07:56:14 PM »

This took me a second. I was like, "Why would you not want to save the environment?" But then my brain caught up and I was like, "Freaking awesome!!"

Good job, I love it. That's how I feel, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009 08:28:34 PM »

I love this, it looks really neat & professional. I always say when I see those commercials about global warming destroying the polar bears habitat, 'wtf? what about the rest of the world!'

Forget the polar bears, how about we save me first. lol
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009 08:55:05 PM by Seraphina_de_Sangre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
trampycouture
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 08:34:04 PM »

I love the detail on this! Amazing! It def. looks professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustbunnyodoom

Too many hobbies, too little time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009 10:01:56 AM »

Hilarious and thought provoking, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

I've got a smile on my face & trees all around me

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009 01:38:45 PM »

Great job with the stitching.  It turned out really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

The only PhD I earned stands for Pretty Happy Dropout! Now starting new adventures!
karin_

Swedish craftster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 04:07:48 AM »

I love this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justaddcats
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009 11:09:05 AM »

I saw this post the other day & was impressed with both the quality of stitching (awesome!) and the message (double awesome!).. but I was too lazy to log in to comment at the time... sorry. 
Today, when I saw the Noah Wylie polar bear commercial, I yelled this at my tv. Your patch clearly stuck with me--well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrXStitch
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009 03:54:22 PM »

This is terrific.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit MrXStitch.com to see the best in contemporary embroidery!
Do you hang out at The Phat Quarter?
It's the Mr X Stitch Facebook Fan Page!
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009 04:49:20 PM »

Your work on the piece is wonderful (someday I'll do a whipped edge that nicely) and I love the subject matter!  Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Autumn Wreath
September 11, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: 30 Minute Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...