A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
179 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your favorite crochet tip...  (Read 47646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

NoShowJr
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2017 01:13:59 PM »

I searched WalMart's site for the set that I have, but was only able to find out of stock on another site.  Just know that WalMart has for right about $26, I think.  The only downfall is that the hook size is very small and in white, so hard to see in low light and no case.  I may mak myself a case, eventually, and add sizes to it somehow.  Also, two of the small ergonomic hooks will fit in the toothbrush holder at a time and I rarely carry that many with me.

https://www.createforless.com/Boye-Crochet-Hook-Set-Ergonomic-12pc/pid294531.aspx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2017 09:04:37 AM »

I've found a few sets on aliexpress, you never know what sort of quality you're going to get ordering direct from china but I'll take a chance (I have 100 doll eyes that are cheap garbage, only cost me 2 bucks though so meh whatever).

Now I have another newb question. Why do people leave their ends loose so they need to be woven in afterwards? I catch them in with my stitches as I go, there are only the few odd occasions I'm left with an end like when starting a circle. Is there a reason not to do this that I don't know about or am I just so incredibly lazy that I've developed a new trick y'all don't know about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2017 10:12:01 AM »

I like to weave my ends in as I go, too! Easy to crochet over them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2017 10:21:11 AM »

Good, I am glad to hear it's a thing! So many patterns call for weaving them in after and I'm like really? Why why why would I leave that much work to do at the end if I can just stick them in as I go? When I'm finished crocheting a thing I want to be done, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2017 01:28:47 PM »

I can be a very lazy crafter, I admit it. I'm always searching for faster, easier ways to do things so when I came across a video for foundation double crochet (FDC) instead of just chaining single loops and getting that curly, not stretchy enough start, I was entranced! Then I saw the linked double crochet (LDC) and then the linked triple crochet (LTC), woo HOO! There are videos for them at moogly http://www.mooglyblog.com/?s=linked+treble.
Those led to an amazing adjacent stitch for square corners instead of 6 stitches in each corner that leave a big ole hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzZRxIDXGW0
In case you're easily shocked I'll warn you in advance that the narator of this video uses the word "vagina" to describe a stitch. Personally I nearly fell over laughing when I heard her say it but I am a terribly irreverent person. Somebody made a prudish comment that she replied to in a hilarious manner too. Don't go reading those unless you have my sort of sense of humor Cheesy.

She is not a pro video maker, she's very chatty. She made the vid because she was having trouble with the written and photo tutorials and I agree, I can't really make out what's going on here:
https://thekidneybean.wordpress.com/tutorials/the-adjacent-stitch-round-one/
I'm so glad she did, I haven't seen another video showing how to do this.

Oh, and I did get one of those fancy clover hooks but only in the size I use most often. It is good but now having used one I can see how adding polymer clay to any hook would increase the comfort level of working with it. I may modify my gran's set one of these days.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017 01:30:23 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2017 08:53:14 PM »

Haha, CLM, you are too funny! Thanks for sharing the insightful links. I, too, only have one ergonomic hook; the rest are ancient hand-me-downs from grandmothers that created magic with their arthritic hands. The squishy hook makes me feel like a wuss.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2017 09:00:28 PM »

Oh, wait! This is about fave tips....okay, my absolute best tip is to somehow acquire a clay yarn bowl from MissingWillow because this has made crocheting and knitting so much easier. No tangling, no tension issues, and they are beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2017 04:57:55 AM »

Those are super beauties. I've always wanted one, clay or hand carved wood, I'm not fussy Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chopino9n2
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2017 08:21:31 AM »

I can be a very lazy crafter, I admit it. I'm always searching for faster, easier ways to do things so when I came across a video for foundation double crochet (FDC) instead of just chaining single loops and getting that curly, not stretchy enough start, I was entranced! Then I saw the linked double crochet (LDC) and then the linked triple crochet (LTC), woo HOO! There are videos for them at moogly http://www.mooglyblog.com/?s=linked+treble.

I felt the same way when I first learned Foundation stitches - they are a real game changer, especially when it comes to making something that you want a little give and stretch across the bottom (or wherever you put the first row).

I just learned a couple of new stitches myself from Moogly as well. She has a couple of different chainless double crochet stitches that she uses - one for joining (STDC - Standing Double Crochet) and one for starting a new row (CSDC - Chainless Starting Double Crochet).

I didn't take a picture of the STDC, but this is what my CSDC looks like (and if you look at the previous rows of white, you can see where that same stitch is there as well - sort of in a diagonal line). It really does change the whole look of things and you don't get that weird gap that happens when you just do a chain 3!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NoShowJr
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2017 12:14:53 PM »

I was asked to create a hat for my best friend. She selected a hat she likes. I started on one in a test with some yarn I had already (vs what I need to go to the store to get for what she wants) when I hit the part of the instruction with the dreaded reverse single crochet. At least for me, its dreaded. As I said in a post I created about this darn thing in asking advice, Ive already had to learn left-handed with all right-handed instructors.

I started sharing my question with a friend from my crochet group. During the discussion, I decided to send her photos of a totally different hat I made last winter with a reverse single crochet band. Once I pulled the original pattern photo and ran out to take a pic of the hat I made (oh and pardon my styrofoam head, my models are awaiting a shampoo!) and put them side-by-side, I thought it wasnt so bad.

So anyway, the tip - after that too-long-winded lead-in is that if you turn the project upside down from how you have been working on it and crochet the direction youre used to then you have an easier reverse single crochet, right?

Ive only had to do it the one time. Kinda hoping it works the same on this next one! Im using the Homespun yarn and just seeing the stitches is difficult!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...