A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet necklace : I need feedback  (Read 1050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Digitalis88
« on: July 30, 2009 02:45:31 PM »

Hi,

So, i have this french book at home with full of crochet projects. There was this necklace that i found interesting to do. It is a beginner's project. So it is not amazing. But i thought i could learn something about it. Now that i finished it. I don't like it. First the buttonhole i had problems with that. Any ideas on how to make a simple button hole ? Still, it holds when i am wearing it.  Secondly, the yarn. I think that i should not have used acrylic yarn for this project because i don't like the look it gives. Looks too much 70s to me. But what kind of yarn shoud i use then for this project ?

And also can someone explain to me how to finish a work in a professionnal way. When i change color, even though i make a knot and then cut, it always wants to not stay in place.

So i am open to critics. Don't be afraid, i need feedback. What do you think ?

Thanks for looking

THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009 03:38:24 PM »

Instead of plain acrylic yarn, maybe you could use a shiny or sparkly yarn to make it look less 70's (I know the style you're referring to).  I just started a shawl with a mercerized cotton that has a bit of a sheen to it, that might look nice too.

For the color changes, you might try this video.  This lady's youtube videos rock!
http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963#play/search/2/y3DnuYR9dCg

Another, easier way, is just to finish all but the last step of the previous color.  Like if you're doing a double crochet stop with 2 loops still on the hook.  Then instead of yarning over and grabbing the same yarn, hold up the new color and yarn over and grab it instead.  (It takes some trial and error to figure out how to hold it so it works.) 

Instead of tying a knot, try leaving several inches of the ends of each color.  When you are done, thread the ends onto a yarn needle and weave them in and out of the last several stitches of that color.  The reasoning is if your knot comes undone you have no yarn left to re-tie the knot.  If the weaving comes undone, you just re-weave it.

Hope that helps!  Be sure to post if you make another one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digitalis88
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 04:16:01 PM »

Thanks chutzpaw. The video is very good. Now i know what i have doing wrong.

And as for the choice of yarn, you are right. I should use what you mentionned.

I will try to find nice yarn like that and make another one and see how it turns out.

Still i have to modify the patten to make a button hole wich is not explained in the book on the pattern i used.

Thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009 05:08:35 PM »

I would like to see the choker part narrower so that the medallions show off better. That is my opinion because you asked but I am not an accomplished crocheter. I love the way you have the button and loop at the back. I don't know alot about yarns, but the medallions in an eyelash fuzzy yarn would greatly appeal to me. Overall, I like necklaces and would wear this, it is totally my style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
ConnieStieler
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009 05:10:32 PM »

It looks really cute! I would try making this with size 10 cotton thread or even baby or sport weight yarn.  It would just make it less bulky.  But that's just my personal preference.  I like the colors you used.  May I ask the name of the book you have?  I'd like to check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digitalis88
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009 05:21:10 PM »

Thanks for your comments. It encourages me to do another one but with another type of yarn.

For ConnieStieler, here is the reference of the book : Crochet pour Marie from Marie-Nolle Bayard, Mango Pratique edition. This women made another book for knitting too. She has great ideas. I am just learning from books i buy and take at the library. But somethimes the explanations are confusing when you are a beginner.

Anyways thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...