A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 314,348
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starting a knitting blog! Tell me which is the best blog host - iyho!  (Read 2762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

yahaira
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006 09:00:04 AM »

considering I just left blogger, I would suggest typepad (paid), word press (paid or free, they offer both), or getting your own domain with moveable type (paid). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
aoifecmcc
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006 10:33:33 AM »

i have a googlepages site, its easy to change it and upload photos etc and lets you do different things than just a blog, although mine is kinda in blog format anyway. the only thing is i think there is a bit of a waiting list to get a page but it took my boyfriend less than a week to get his Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahaira
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006 10:53:05 AM »

interesting, I never heard of googlepages but it looks great.  I had figured they wouldnt do anything like that since they already own blogger, but surprise surprise Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
lexer
If we're all thinking outside the box, doesn't that just put us in a bigger box?

I <3 the smell of a glue gun early in the morning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006 12:22:01 PM »

Googlepages is ok...the spacing frustrates me and I haven't figured out how to tweak it yet. I haven't had too many problems with blogger, except that if you decide to change your template, you lose all of your links and side bar stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterlite
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006 11:48:55 PM »

I know a lot of you out there have KNITTING blogs... I was wondering if some of you would be kind enough to fill me in about them. I look at them, but other than that, I am totally clueless.  Someone reccomended MY Space to me. (that;s what she uses, so she wants me to do that one) I know there are some others out there, type pad, blogger.com  Are there any others?  And what do you think of them? Have you tried one, then switched to another and liked it better? What do you think?  Are they easy to use? any pro's and con's?  I'll appreciate anything you can tell me about them.

This is a re-post(adding the term knitting since that's what i ment to begin with)  the moderators seem to feel that asking about blogging is off topic, and deleted my last post...I didn't even get to read any responses, if there were any... even though Blogging about KNITTING seems to be an integral part of this knitting community...

Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cocoa Kitten
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006 03:18:33 AM »

Uhm, I'm really sick of Myspace in general, but I'm just biased against it because a lot of bad shit has come from its creation.  I use Wordpress, which is okay, but it's certainly not fantastic.  What pissed me off the most is that after only about 3 months of operation, it told me I had used up all my bandwidth for uploading pictures, and the only way to get more was to delete some!  You can't even buy more space, which I was completely willing to do had it been an option!  It also has a lot of issues with formating.... It loves to play around with the spacing of paragraphs, and sometimes skips all over the page as you try to type so you end up with your concluding sentence in the middle of your post.  Argh!

I've never tried the other platforms so I really can't make any accurate comparisons.  I do suggest you upload your photos on a seperate server regardless, to save space and all.  Flickr = amazing, way more space for high res pictures than Photobucket, which I had also tried in the past.

I don't know what else to tell you other than good luck!  Just try things out and have fun with it, who cares if you screw up when you're starting out?  It'll get that akward bit out of the way and you'll have nothing to worry about for future blogging.  Oh, and don't forget:  You can always change platforms if you really hate what you chose.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fearlessfibers
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006 08:05:14 AM »

Hi there:  I just started a knitting blog and like you I was totally clueless about how any of it works!  I'm using Blogger http://www.blogger.com.  I really can't say how it stacks up compared to others, since I haven't tried others, but I can say that it was super-easy to get started and so far has worked fine for my limited needs. 

You can check out my blog at http://fearlessfibers.blogspot.com and get an idea of how it looks (you have lots of choices for other templates to use, of course).  I'm pretty technically moronic and still got it up with no problems at all in a matter of minutes.

Hope this helps some ... and GOOD LUCK!
 - Deb aka Fearless Fibers
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AngiR
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006 12:37:50 PM »

I'm using Wordpress and have my url and webspace through GoDaddy.  Both are working great, and I haven't had any trouble with it at all.  I think part of that may be the fact that I tend to play around with the code a bit.  I like it better than blogger mainly for the control I have over it.
Now onto Blogs 101.
A blog is basically a web page, or series of web pages, that contain entries such as the diaries of yore. To run a blog on your own (not using a service such as blogger) you basically need an interface, server space, and a database.  The database is where all the deep thoughts you have typed in are stored.  The entries are then "called" by the interface (such as Wordpress, Moveable Type) where they can be viewed in a cohesive manner.
The server space is dependant on what you want to post.  If you are going to post a lot of pictures, you are going to want more. If you are going to be text heavy, not as much. My bandwidth allotment is 250,000 MB.  I have not idea what that means, but I haven't been asked to delete anything, so life is good as far as I'm concerned.
My blog isn't a knitting blog per se, though it is becoming that, but there are some that I read regularily.
The ones that I read cover everything under the sun, but are used mostly to discuss new patterns/yarns, projects completed, frogged, in progress, and stuff that is new.

There are a lot of choices out there.  I started out using Blogger until I became more confortable with the whole thing.  Just research as much as you can.
I hope this helped.

Angela
www.justanotherblog.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006 04:44:24 PM »

I love Blogger.  I've tried some others, livejournal and myspace among 'em, and have liked blogger the best.  It gives you unlimited photospace (right now, anyway) and allows for a lot of personalization.  Heck, they encourage you to personalize your blog as much as possible - different links and stuff, etc.  It also requires the least amount of HMTL knowledge to start.  I've learned mostly of my html know-how from playing with my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
diosaperdida
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006 07:49:45 AM »

I have about a zillion blogs...on all kinds of subjects. My favs are blogger...very easy to use and lots of info on how to use it, then there is Yahoo 360. A great community based service. And if you are lucky you might even get your blog featured. That helped my art career immensly, when they featured mine.
Those are my fav two.
You might also consider an account at deviantart if you want to focus mostly on posting pics. There is a "journal" space, and a textile art catagory to post in. The interface is very regimented, but it does help present a nice portfolio, and you can make your description of each project as long as you need to, if you want to share patterns, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...