A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,679
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyed my first roving  (Read 2892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2009 10:27:22 PM »

I just dyed my first two rovings, and now that they're dry, they're all flat and compressed. I don't think it's felted...  But it's definitely not going to be easy to spin as it is. I don't have carders or combs, even though I've been asking my dad to pick up some doggy slicker brushes. I thought about making that homemade hackle, but I don't really have anything onto which I could clamp it. Is there a way I could comb it with regular hair combs? And for that matter, I sort of wanted to blend the two colors a bit. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009 10:31:31 PM »

I seem to have better luck with getting fluffy roving when I put it in a sweater bag and spin it. Dries twice as fast too. I've had some rovings I let drip dry and they were still spinnable, I just had to pull harder when drafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009 01:10:02 AM »

Yeah, I saw in my hand-dying book (that I just got today, yay!) that they could be put through the spin cycle with the water off, but I have no idea how to turn off the water in my washing machine. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009 06:02:20 AM »

The first few rovings I dyed looked flat and compressed and sad after they were dry...I just let them air dry. All I did was gently draft them out a bit, just a little, and they fluffed right up and looked much better. The very first one may have been a bit felted but the gentle drafting fixed it. They were no problem to spin with.

As for the hackles and combs, I have a small homemade hackle on the edge of my computer desk...the only surface I could find to clamp it to, lol. I made it using two wide-tooth combs from the dollar store and a 2x4 piece of wood. I've also used regular hair combs to comb wool. The combs with really fine teeth aren't very good, the teeth just break off. For combing I've used something in between the fine- and wide-tooth combs. If you've watched any videos about using 'real' wool combs that's how I used the hair combs, right down to pulling the wool off the comb into roving.

It really depends on your washing machine but if it has a dial to turn you should be able to just turn it to the section labeled 'spin' and turn it on with no worries about water...just be sure it's the last spin cycle not one between wash and rinse cycles! I have a front loader that has too many buttons so if anyone knows how to jump to the spin cycle in something like that let me know! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009 10:54:16 AM »

I have a regular washing machine so I just set it to spin and it avoids the rinse. Just check it out before you throw anything in, that way you know for sure. It sounds like just blah extra step but it seriously took about 12 hours out of the drying time and got rid of that slightly felted feel I was having issues with. I'll see if I can't find one of the older rovings I did when I wasn't spinning them and take some comparison pictures, because it's all the same kind of wool. I seriously thought that putting the rovings in the washer would ruin them but it made them so soft.

I bought a dog brush that looks similar to a wool comb and it works well for getting gnarls and stuff out. I haven't used it on roving yet but it was great with some loose alpaca I cleaned. I got it at Petsmart for $1.00! Not too shabby. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009 08:18:07 PM »

Thanks so much. I'm gonna go play with my washing machine now. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009 05:57:03 AM »

Just pull width-wise on the roving after you spin it out.  It will fluff right up when drying.

These were all compressed after they were dyed:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009 08:51:31 AM »

Ooh, lovely! I have to admit, I was extremely intimidated by the thought of fluffing them. Or touching them at all. But they're all fluffy and nice now. Now I'm just intimidated by the thought of spinning them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009 11:47:59 AM »

Blah, okay... I don't have the tools to make a hackle right now, and I tried and failed to use a hair pick and a similarly-sized comb to blend my rovings (my mom got them for me as a surprise, and I dyed them a bit greener and darker to mute the colors a bit, otherwise I would've just painted one roving) and I can't find any other way of blending them online.... I have to confess, I'm a complete noob at spinning. I have incredible difficulty even drafting two pieces of roving together. Should I just feed both rovings in together as I spin, as though I were plying?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009 01:39:54 PM »

You can do that. I think the problem I first had with spinning is not knowing how thin I could get the fibers and still keep them together. You can pull them pretty far apart and still spin if you slow down a bit, use the park & spin method, as MLF just suggested in another thread. She suggested you spin up about 6 inches worth and let the twist sort of go up your drafted roving.

This is a bit of yarn I made at first by just drafting 2 rovings at one time, not my most gorgeous yarn but it did work and I used felting roving on this:

You were asking about turning off spin on your washer, is your washer like this?:

If so, you set the dial to "spin" which will keep water from pouring in on your rovings. (Mine is on rinse obviously, even though I thought I turned it to spin to demonstrate in the picture. lol Don't put it on rinse or you'll ruin your roving.)

This is two different rovings I dyed, one using the spin cycle and one not.
Yellow has been spun and the black was drip dried. You can see how the yellow is a bit fluffier and less dense.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009 01:43:08 PM by SewMamaLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands
Halloween Houses (Haunted, of course!)

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...