A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
171 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions and advice about drum carders  (Read 28169 times)
Tags for this thread: carding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

TheThreeRingRanch
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2007 08:38:59 PM »

Hand cards and drum cards need to be the type for the fleece you will be carding.  Most people are carding finer wools, so get one with the highest TPI or Teeth per inch you can.

This will greatly improve your success.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A New Online Fiber Arts Magazine
www.SpindleAndWheel.com
LizzieMcGuire

loves knitting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2007 03:13:27 AM »

I want to buy a drum carder.
I'm planning to card mostly merino wool, BFL and maybe card some luxury fibers like alpaka, silk and angora in.
Now I've heard from a company who sells drum carders for 205Euro and they seem to be ok (I've read that in a German spinning board).
On the website it says: 36 points/square inch, is that similar to TPI? And is that fine enough for the fibres mentioned above?
Or should I spend a little bit more and get an Ashford drum carder with higher TPI?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2008 10:42:58 PM »

I had to put this on here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=216889.0

That is the most AWESOME carder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2008 11:48:58 PM »

I've been looking at getting a drum carder for quite a while now, so I decided for my birthday this year to ask everyone for money towards it. I've read a bunch of info them and was trying to decide between a Pat Green and a Strauch. I have decided on Strauch, so now I just have to figure out whether to get the Petite (which for space and financial reasons kinda makes the most sense) or go all out and get the Finest (and not have to upgrade later). I can get the Petite /w brush (incl tax & shipping) for a little over $500 or the Finest for about $280 more, almost $800 (not that much less than I payed for my last car, ouch!).

I'm trying to figure out what I can justify... and if the Finest could really make more sense...
Yikes!  Shocked It's a lot of money, I'll probably still have to pay for half of it, even with b-day money... but handcards take forever  Tongue and drum carding look like so much fun!
Any advice would be helpful Smiley Thanks in advance!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hobbledehoy

The Hobbledehoy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2008 04:29:43 AM »

Jadzy, I've been using the Strauch Petite for a year now, carding for sometimes 2 hours each day.  It's held up really well, and I've considered upgrading to a Pat Green.  How often are you going to be using your carder?  Is it for a fiber business?  If so, maybe start with the Finest.  If you're using it for a hobby sized business or for personal occasional use, go with the Petite.  It's a hardy little machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the shop:
http://hobbledehoy.etsy.com
the blog:
http://elizabeth-stottlemyer.blogspot.com
twitter along:
http://www.twitter.com/hobbledehoy

I'm generally open for fiber swaps!  PM me Cheesy
Jadzy

a.k.a. Jadzeea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2008 08:39:59 AM »

Thanks Liz Smiley
I don't have a business as of yet, but I could see myself maybe selling on etsy some day.
Its great to hear how well your petite is working. How long does it take to card up a set of batts (like your LolBatts  Cheesy )?
I'll find out tomorrow how much I get towards it when we get together with the rest of the family Smiley Then I can probably make a better decision  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fnugg
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2008 09:27:31 AM »

I have been wanting to get a drum carder for over a year now. And I have to decide between the Lout jr, or Strauch petite, these are the only two models that are in my range both economically and geographically (many American companies does not send things to Norway. :/ ). Are there any one who have any useful information about the two models? I have understood that the lout takes more roving = bigger bats, but it has not the easy feeding tray that a noob like me feels are easier to use, and not the brush attachment for fine fibers. I am mostly thinking of processing medium to fine fibers, meaning not the coarsest wool hair and such. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fancyarbor

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2009 10:40:51 AM »

Is there any way to DIY hand cards?  I wanna do something with my new fiber as soon as possible, I don't wanna wait on going and buying dog brushes!  ICLH.

Yes, I found this link below.  For DIY english combs.  I have bought the parts but haven't assembled them yet.
http://blog.loxosceles.org/posts/1147125661.shtml

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...