A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,008
Currently Running With Scissors:
207 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Really stupid question: What are delicas used for?  (Read 2232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

olive_juice
« on: July 23, 2009 02:45:33 PM »

I see them all the time at my local bead shop and they advertise them online like they're a big deal, but what are they for? They kinda just look like seed beads to me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 04:46:09 PM »

They are useful when you want a bead woven piece to appear very precise. They are very even/predictable in terms of sizing. The array of colors is an additional draw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
beadsbeadingbeaded
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 05:45:24 PM »

Delicas are more expensive because they are more consistent with their size, not much culling is necessary. However, that being said, there are other 'bead lines' that are more expensive and more precise...Toho Aikos being the most precise.

Delicas do have the great ability of having the most range of colors. There are over 980 colors/finishes where even Toho Aikos are maybe about 290. You can see that such a difference in color stock can be very appealing!

Other then color choices being a big draw, there are also great uses for the shape they offer. Tubular and large holes. These features come in handy when you need to 'pass through a bead more then (3) times' for any given pattern. The shape also allows for a wonderful stack when doing any beading stitch, except for a stitch that you are using to create a 'circle'. Any circular pattern, tubular and the like, are best completed with other bead styles.

I am an avid 'Delica' user and purchase many each week. I have a short way to go before I reach the end (like the internet, lol!) but with each Delica # I get in the mail, I see why there are so many. Each color and finish changes when set next to another, in your beadwork.

I hope this helped!

Erin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009 05:48:01 PM by beadsbeadingbeaded » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit My Gallery of Bead Art:
www.beadsbeadingbeaded.com

Join in to learn about Bead Looming:
www.beadsbeadingbeaded.blogspot.com
olive_juice
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 09:22:53 AM »

Thanks, guys! I wondered if it was something like that.

beads, I just spent the past hour looking at your site. Your stuff is unbelievable! And here I was all proud of myself cause I can make flowers.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
beadsbeadingbeaded
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009 09:57:50 AM »

Hey, we start somewhere and if you are making flowers, you are doing fantastic! The last thing I would ever want is to 'intimidate' anyone. I use my website for many reasons, and I am hoping that inspiration is one of them, just like I get inspired by seeing such wonderful beadwork here on this forum!

I'll be keeping my eye out for some pictures of your flowers!

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 05:36:18 AM »

I just started using Delicas this past year or two and really love their precision and consistency.  The large hole allows for multiple passes of needle and thread too.  Previously I used a lot of czech seed beads for off loom weaving, and I probably will continue to use them, but for things where there is a more open weave, like netted projects, or stringing, or where the roundness of the beads doesn't detract from the project, such as a weaving a spiral stitch, right angle weave, etc.  But for when there is a need for a tight fabric of beads, or some dimensional work, I would continue to use delicas (or would like to try Toho brand cylinder beads too, if I could get more selection in my neck of the woods).

Here are two things I have done that show the difference between the two.

A star sphere I did with regular seed beads.  Note the gaps and and irregularities.

A smaller sized sphere (but with bigger stars) I did with delicas.  They fit together like bricks, so it looks more cohesive, and the structure was stronger too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive_juice
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 07:12:07 AM »

Oh wow, that's a huge difference! Also, those things look amazing! You have lots of talent!

Beads, I finally posted pics of my flowers! They're here:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=315865.msg3636235#msg3636235
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009 10:38:44 AM »

Very nice - I love the blue one!  If you like doing the French style beaded flowers, with wire, then you definitely don't need to go with the expense of Delicas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadsbeadingbeaded
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009 07:01:18 PM »

Whoa, Olive, they are gorgeous!
I always admired French Beaded Flowers, but for some reason I could never make them look proportionate. You are a natural! I am ready to see more!!!!

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrannyAnnie
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009 06:39:57 AM »

I have only been beading for about a year (I am hopelessly addicted now) and my very favorite bead are the Delicas. I love them for making one or two strand necklaces/chokers that are very dainty....and ....um...."delicate" looking! (grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Skirt
Meatless Monday: Naan Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...