A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
373 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wanna have a Spring Fling?  (Read 10482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
acesulfamek
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005 08:45:15 PM »

while, obviously, the number of rows you work in the arms will affect the end length, I would follow the directions for your 'width size'.  after all, while it may be a couple centimeters different in length from the 'large length', you don't want to throw off your stitch count, or come out with an armhole that's too big for your arms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2005 07:04:09 AM »

Agh! I think I have officially given up on this. I got to the armhole shaping where you need to bind off and yet stay in pattern - this seems beyond me in terms of the lace pattern used, and I totally [email protected]#$%d it up. I'm not feeling excited enough about it to try and figure it out...I'm thinking of frogging it and making up my own cardigan. I love the yarn and I do need cardigans, so...I'm hoping I can come up with something on my own. I've never designed anything myself, but maybe it's time Smiley My question (which may be dumb) : does a lace pattern, this one in particular, use the same/less/more yarn than doing stockinette? I may just find another lace pattern I like, but I'm just trying to figure out what my limitations are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
socomfyhere
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2005 06:19:07 PM »

I am about 5 inches into this, having knit and frogged and reknit it multiple times (a total of three knittings, I believe).  Something about this lace pattern is stumping me, so I think I am going to switch to a different one.  One question, however:  would changing the lace pattern make it incompatible with the binding off needed for shaping?  Please help me out here!  Thanks a bunch Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2005 07:19:15 AM »

Ok, so I was unable to get exact gauge, so I decided to err on the small side (since it's presumably easier to stretch it a bit while blocking) and the pattern does result in a garment with quite a bit of STRETCH, but....the pattern says that the front pieces are 8.75 inches wide (for the small size). If I really stretch mine out it is just about 8 inches wide. In something that is so stretchy, is it typical for measurements to be made with the garment stretched out like that? My finished back piece seems fine, I'm just a little confused by the measurements, even though my gauge was quite close. Maybe it's just because this is taking me SOOO long I want to make sure it's right - am I putting too much thought into this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
meringue
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2005 09:47:17 AM »

I decided to try to go for a quick fix and start on a sleeve, imagining I'd have it done and dusted in an hour or so...

This did not happen: I've re-attempted it about sixteen times to varying amounts of success, but I've never managed to keep it in pattern while binding off and it's driving me a bit loopy because I can't see where I'm going wrong. I think I'll be following the advice of drawing up a chart when I get round to having another go - but for now I feel a bit sick of the thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2005 11:59:06 AM »

Seriously, I think I've spent as much time un-knitting this stupid thing than actually knitting it! When I was doing the armhole shaping I used stitch markers for the first few repeats so that I made sure I decreased the correct number AND continued the lace pattern correctly.

It's a shame that I'm having so many problems with this, because it's super-cute (well, the one on knitty is anyway!) and I totally love the yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jordanapaige
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2005 08:25:18 PM »

Hi! It's so fun to see people working on this! I'm sorry there has been such trouble with the binding off and shaping while maintaining the lace pattern. Here's a tip:

When binding off, just k the first few stitches until you can restart the pattern. For example:

If the next row should be K1, yo, sl1, k1, psso and you need to bind one off at the beg then

K2, pass the first st over the second (for your bind off). Don't do the yo, sl1, k1, psso. Knit the stitches until you are back to the beg of the repeat where you [k2, yo, sl 1, k1, psso].

By not doing both the yo and psso, only 1 st will be decreased from your bind off.

I hope this helps clarify it.  Dealing with lace and increasing/decreasing can be difficult sometimes. What helps me is to "read" the knitting, not the pattern. Try to get an understanding of what the stitches look like and what you need to do.  I look forward to seeing the finished sweaters!

Jordana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2005 09:47:09 AM »

Jordana, this sweater is such great incentive to force ourselves to learn how to deal with lace. If mine turns out half as cute as the original, it will be SO worth it!

I once made a baby blanket in a lace pattern - with no shaping, mind you - and swore I wouldn't do such a thing again. Ah, we forget so quickly when we see Knitty's beautiful pictures of sun-dappled sweaters Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2005 12:47:20 PM »

Anyone else still working on this? I got sidetracked working on the Ribbon Xback, but now I'm returning to Spring Fling. I've finished the back and one front piece, and I'm about halfway through the other front piece.

I was hoping to finish before the next issue of Knitty, but I don't think that will happen unless I really buckle down in the next several days Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acesulfamek
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2005 03:06:50 PM »

I have not finished mine yet.  I got sidetracked - but not by another project really.  I got my first car after decades of public transit, and suddenly I seem to have less knitting time than when I was Metroing or being driven everywhere.  Oh, well.  Also, it did not help that I totally wrecked the first sleeve I made, so that was a little set-back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...