A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
288 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "5 Minute Artisan Bread"- the best thing since sliced bread  (Read 20876 times)
Tags for this thread: bread , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
doyouloveanapple
« on: July 06, 2009 11:42:27 AM »

I made a New Year's resolution to start making as much as my own food at home as possible and buy less packaged foods. It's been a bit of an adventure and somethings have turned out much better than others (eg. yogurt, granola, hummus, icecream). However, bread has always been my Achilles heal. I've been baking bread for a long time, but no matter how much kneeding and dough baby sitting I did it always came out a bit tough or flat. Until I found this recipe!

This is amazing; there is no way to screw this up. AND THERE IS NO KNEEDING!!! At first I felt like I should be doing more, bread shouldn't be this easy! But I've made it a bunch of times now, and it's worked every time.

It was originally from this book: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/ . With the original recipe you make the dough, keep it in the fridge and cut off a loaf whenever you want one. The dough gets better in the fridge the longer it sits. However this recipie does make a lot of dough.

I've modified the original recipe for one loaf. Here it is:

5 Mintue Artisan Bread

Ingredients:

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cup water
3 1/4 cup unbleached flour (you can replace up to half a cup with whole grain flour)
Corn meal

1. In a large bowl mix yeast, salt and water. Add flour and stir to combine.

2. Let dough rise in a warm place for at least two hours, until it rises and collapses (or even overnight won't hurt it). The dough may be baked at this point, or refrigerated for later use.

3. To refigerate: cover dough, but make sure it is not airtight, and place in fridge.

4. When you want to make bread throw a handful of flour on top of the dough. Shape the dough in your hands by turning the dough in your hands, stretch the surface of the dough and tuck under (to make the surface smooth).

5. Generously dust a pizza peel (or any flat surface - I use a bamboo cutting board) with cornmeal. You can use flour instead, but you'll need to use a very generous dusting.

6. Allow dough to rest in a warm place for 40 minutes - longer (up to an hour and a half) if you use some whole wheat flour in place of the white.

7. 20 minutes before baking preheat the oven to 450 degrees F with a baking stone (or over turned baking sheet) on the middle rack and a shallow pan (empty) on the bottom rack.
NOTE: DO NOT USE A GLASS PAN (not even Pyrex) when you pour cold water into it, it is likely to break. Use a shallow metal pan.

8. Throw flour on the top of your loaf and slash 2 to 4 times.

9. Slide the loaf onto the baking stone.

10. Pour 1-2 cups of tap water into the shallow dish and immediately close the oven door to trap the steam.

11. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is well browned and bread sounds hollow when you knock on the bottom.

Here is what mine looked like the first time:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010 02:32:24 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009 11:47:44 AM »

Mmm, yum! Thanks for the recipe, I keep hearing about this no-knead bread but have never tried it! Can you make this with bread flour or does it need to be all purpose?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009 12:05:58 PM »

oh!  I'd love to try this, but I don't have a baking stone ... would it matter too much if I just used a cookie sheet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009 12:22:24 PM »

I'm not sure about bread flour, I've been using all purpose. I'd would probably work I think.

Not a problem at all! I use an over turned cookie sheet. It seems to work just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
teag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009 04:40:44 PM »

thanks for the recipe I can't wait to try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009 10:03:28 PM »

I've seen this mentioned on here before, but I've never seen the recipe.  Thank you so much.  I'll give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

52/50 done
LesFex
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009 01:32:48 AM »

Thanks for the recipe... I too will try it out one of these days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Music Junkie, lightning watcher, book lover. :)

I love all things crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009 11:30:38 PM »

Mmm. That made me a little hungry.  Tongue I may give this a try sometime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. -Led Zeppelin
Lellibo

Failiure is always an option

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009 02:48:42 AM »

I've never hand made bread before this looks really good i might have to try it. Thanks for the recipe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in Sherlock Holmes
GlitteringPeacock
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009 08:26:22 AM »

I have this book too and it rocks.  I generally always have the boule on hand, but I've also made the challah and brioche recipes too.  So easy.  Oh and I would use a stone. They are pretty cheap if you get them at the right place.  I got mine for $8, and I think that Bed Bath and Beyond sells them for about 15. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...