A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 311,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
337 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop


Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *TUTORIAL* Morel Grocery Bag 5-piece (MEGA-PIX)  (Read 12854 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , grocery_bag , reusable_grocery_bag , folding_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+
 
hat-and-bag-lady
Offline Offline

Posts: 697
Joined: 24-Aug-2006

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010 08:32:11 PM »

Hello Craftsters and Guests:

I had a terrific idea about the Bag-Rack-tabs: Rather than make them as tubes, that are attached to the side, make them as pieces that can be Velcro(R)ed to the bag-racks. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it's a good idea. The tubes on the upper side, are a good idea to hold the bags up to be filled with your groceries BUT, they're not terribly easy or quick to attach. With the tabs being some longer, and Velcro (R) attachable, they would be easier to simply "fold onto" the bag racks.

My idea is that you'd make the tabs as a single layer, with the edges finished, then attach the "stiff" (hooky) side to the tabs in small squares.  Attach longer pieces of the soft Velcro to the bag. Then, rather than the Cashiers having to fiddle with the bag-rack-tabs, they could fold them onto the bag-racks quicker and not have to be so fiddle-y with them. The bag-rack-tabs are very useful ... but only if you're checking-out when there isn't a huge line-up behind you. (IE, during the dinner hour, or late at night.) During these "off-times" the Cashiers and  Baggers are a bit more patient and willing to "fiddle" with getting the bags onto the racks.

If someone knows what I'm talking about, and gives it a try, please post the results here. Thank you. (If no-one can quite figure out what I've said, I'll be attempting it later on and posting it.)

Thank you all Crafster's and Guests for your attention.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
hat-and-bag-lady
Offline Offline

Posts: 697
Joined: 24-Aug-2006

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017 03:38:38 PM »

M'kay: so, I decided to make another.
I thought I was being really clever and using a Shower curtain as the material for this. Now, my advice is: DON'T  Undecided  It seems as though it'd be a great idea: however, it's not the best material for a bag. (It is possible it was only the one I tried.) It is actually loosely woven; so, it's a really difficult material to sew.

Anyway:
I also thought it might be a good idea to attempt to do what I'd mentioned above^.

Before I get into the challenges involved, here's a picture of the end product:


I remeasured the pattern pieces, and set them out:

As soon as I started cutting, I could tell that the shower curtain was a bad idea. It tried to unravel from the first cut, and it didn't seem like a very sturdy material. But, I was determined, so I carried on.

I had shortened the bag piece and the handles. I also decided that since the bag-racks were going to be single layer, they could be smaller, too.

As instructed, I made the handles and the pocket. Then, I seamed 3 edges of each bag-rack piece. I added a light interfacing, and two pieces of stiff Velcro. (Hooky side)

As a precaution, I zig-zagged the whole main bag piece before even starting to sew it together.
Following the directions, I got the bag and side seams done. Then, I got started on the top part. I remembered to put the pocket on, but it's backwards. And, I forgot to add the bag rack tabs. So, I added light interfacing to the sides, where I was going to put the soft Velcro.

I finished the final side of the tabs, and just sewed them onto the sides.

After checking the length of the handles, I realized I might have made them too short.  I sewed on one inch, with a square and "X".  Even then, the handles are none-too-long. They're long enough, but ...
And, I figured out that the light interfacing and Velcro makes the folding slightly harder (not really bad, but slightly)


In spite of the challenges (that came about because of changes) I'm fairly pleased with it.


What do you think, Craftsters and guests?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017 06:16:00 PM by hat-and-bag-lady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
 
Jump to:  



FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.