A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
191 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starting Early: Pushing Daisies Dandelion  (Read 30320 times)
Tags for this thread: dandelion , costume , halloween , halloween_costume , costume_idea , pushing_daisies , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

anafelix
« on: June 26, 2009 03:03:53 PM »

I would like to start making my Halloween costume soon. It's going to be sort of complicated (at least the head-piece) and I tend to procrastinate. This year I really want to go as one of the show room models in the "Pushing Daisies" episode "Dummy". I saw the girls and instantly fell in love with their costumes. The models are dressed up as dandelions and have a green shift dress on and go-go boots. The best part though is the head-piece they wear.

(I apologize if the way I posted the pictures is against the rules, I can't remember where I found the photos)

The dress part is easy and I can find the shoes around Halloween or at a vintage store. The problem is I'm not exactly sure how to start making the dandelion head piece. It looks like it could be a hat with the added spores but I'm not sure. And I'd prefer the long seed parts to be shorter. I just need an idea of what to use to make those parts. And a suggestion for a hat pattern would be wonderful too because I've tried doing hats without a pattern and it was a mess.

Any help would be immensely appreciated because right now I feel very lost as where to even start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Molliemoo2883
Personal Swap: anyone need bottle caps?

Easily distracted since 1983!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009 03:10:57 PM »

First off I think its an awesome idea for a costume. Could you use fake white daises for the spore tops? I think that would be cool if you could figure it out. I also think you are right on with the hat base. Good luck. Make sure to post pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow inside. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion we would be truly dead"~Buffy
claire313

Make Tea, Not War!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009 03:14:43 PM »

OH. MY. GOD.

first off, i love that show and I'm devastated its not on the air anymore - that was one of my favorite episodes Cheesy

What if you got a ton-o-feathers and glued them to chopsticks? then *somehow* fastened them to a shower cap... or a hat, like you said Smiley

good luck and I CANNOT WAIT to see what you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdollpirate
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009 03:35:53 PM »

The spores look like those feathers you get in the floral department that are on long stems. that hat looks like one of those flapper hats i think they are called a cloche i think it also looks like it is made out of felt or something like felt. Here is a pattern for a crocheted one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
feverdream
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009 03:45:23 PM »

That is such a cute idea, I love it!

I would start out with one of those highlighting caps you use when your highlighting your own hair. It's like a shower cap with tiny holes in it and you can get one at Sally Beauty Supply. Then I would maybe get a bunch of long stemmed flowers or feathers and thread them each through a clear plastic straw or even a small cocktail straw (smaller and sturdier). Poke the pointy end of the feather through the cap and bend it into a loop with a needlenose wire cutter and bend the loop flush to the cap. Secure the straw with a bit of hot glue. Then I would wear another cap/shower cap underneath so the little wires don't get stuck in your hair.

That's just what came to my mind. Good luck with your costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
beeker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009 03:56:19 PM »

I was thinking about how to make the seeds stand out...
You could use some craft wire and make a T shape and poke it through the hat. if you wanted to wire to be green or brown you could wrap the wire in floral tape. That would also give you a way to attach the feathers to the tips.
The hat will still be fairly flimsy, maybe starch the heck out of it or use a swim cap under the cute cap and poke the wire through both to add some stability. hmmmm... Undecided this is very interesting challenge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Christmas Stocking Swap - crafting Smiley
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009 04:23:51 PM »

I was thinking for the fluffy bits at the top, how about a feather boa? or do you really want it all individual?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
joybilee

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009 04:26:23 PM »

from looking at the pic & what other people have suggested, the best i have come up with so far is it looks like a fitted felt cloche hat.  the stems are made of small wooden dowels with either small white feathers or rolled shredded cellophane or something like that, fluffed out on the end & taped wrapping them to the dowel.  then painted brown on one end to match the hat fading into white the rest of the way.

to make them stand up i like the idea of the feather picks but that seems pricey given the number you would need.  you could get a couple of packs of small dowels or chopsticks for a few dollars i think.  i like the idea of the highlight cap someone posted, but using dowels, i could make little holes in the cloche where i wanted the dowels to come out & poke them through, glue small flat disks to the inside end of each one, then glue those to the cap.  if you tied the hat behind your head you could hide it under the cap.  i think with the snug fit of the cap against the head, the disks will push the stems out, & the cloche will help to hold them up, hiding everything underneath.  you would need a really strong glue that would hold up to how hot it's likely to get under your hat - E6000 or the like?  then glue down the feathers/whatever around the end & wrap tape over them, & then paint them.  well, the dowels should be made & painted before putting the hat together so i'm out of order hear but i'm sure you get that.  

oh, i do also like the idea of using wire instead of the dowels & wrapping the wire in tape all the way down.  though i think the pic looks like dowels or maybe paper tubes?  maybe you could stay up all night eating pixie sticks & then recycling those tubes for the hat as you go?  pixie sticks = crafting fuel Grin Grin  or drinking straws over the wire.  you can get a pack of 100 or so for a $1 usually.

i hope this makes sense.  i'm sure it's obvious i typed what i thought with little formatting involved.  keeps the ideas fresh!  it looks really awesome & i can't wait to see what you end up doing & how it turns out. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009 05:14:46 PM »

I second the straw idea... I think even though small dowels are fairly light, 100 of them will get pretty heavy. I say find a pack of white drinking straws and spray paint the bottom to get that nice brown gradient.

I think although it may be expensive, depending on what you can find, you're best bet is to purchase a felt cloche to use as the base. It may be in your best interests to reinforce it with millinery wire, at least around the base, and possibly put some kind of counterweighting in the front to keep it from slipping off your head.

Good luck! That's an awesome episode, and a really cool hat, so I can't wait to see what you decide to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009 05:50:47 PM »

If you wanted something more slender, maybe you could use coffee stirrers for the stems.  They way I'm picturing it would be to wrap a length of wire around a small plastic or thin cardboard disc, poke the other end out through a felted cloche, thread a stirrer over it then use floral tape to attach feathers to the end.  I'm not sure at which part the painting or other coloring would need to come it,  But I'm sure some experiments will make that clear.  When everything is attached, then you could sew in a lining hat to keep the wires our of your hair Smiley

This is an awesome idea; good luck pulling it off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...