A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pincushions  (Read 733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
KPWog
« on: June 17, 2009 12:40:44 PM »

I want to make some pincushions, but don't want to use pollyfill as the stuffing. I want something heavier. Does anyone have any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ostera15
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009 02:17:23 PM »

Not sure if it would work for pincushions, but what about adding some rice to the polyfill to give it some weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
mamarose22
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009 05:58:36 PM »

You might be able to use some fine sawdust. Don't they sometimes use some corn husk product for this as well?  You could buy some sand from any craft store and fill your pin cushions with that as well. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009 04:21:32 PM »

From what I've heard, sawdust is/was very common. I would think polyfil could be used if you put something heavier in the base of the cushion--a big pebble, 2 or 3 marbles, some of those plastic pellets used in some toys and computer wrist pads, a few coins, or some BBs.

Has anyone tried human hair? And if so, any tips? Will super short hair clippings poke through fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
mamarose22
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009 02:18:41 PM »

After you weight down your pincushions with sawdust, sand pebbles, glass marbles, fish tank chips or anything else you want to use, you could then stuff it with old pantyhose, scraps of fabric,,felt or even a halved styrofoam ball and then layer a shoulder pad over the styrofoam before you cover it with the final fabric.  I made a pin cushion by placing a halved styrofoam ball in the rounded lid from Coty face powder that I had already covered with fabric. put put some fabric scraps around the ball to fill in the spaces, then covered it with the fabric and tucked it in the lid.  I love it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...