A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
134 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY sinus awesomeness.  (Read 9816 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005 12:03:33 PM »

so could u really make ur own? it kinda looks as if u could use a small enough bit of tubing as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005 01:40:53 PM »

whoa, can't believe there are so many responses!!
 for the person who asked about price, mine was about 16-18 bucks. this takes some getting used to, but its really awesome once you get the hang of it. it shouldnt sting if you do it right. and for the RA, doing it in the shower is perfect, because youre kinda all warmed up already. just put the salt in before you get into the shower.

i use 1/4 tsp table salt per potful of water,becuase i was told not to use sea salt...is that right??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativeChick104
creative gurl

were playin basket ball !!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006 10:11:01 AM »

i have one i have bad sinus! my best freind made me 1 and glazed it pink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hah i wuv u (elmo like u )
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006 10:56:36 AM »

I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a really good idea! I have HORRIBLE sinuses and all-year allergies, and my mom won't let me go and get those shots for allergies, so I may just have to try this...
Can anyone give me like a price estimate??? <i'm kind of broke...>

I learned to do this from my hatha yoga teachers.  They stressed two things that differ from the neti pot method: 1) that you do not need to spend money on a pot and 2) that if you have an infection in one sinus, and rinse side-to-side, you are likely to infect the other one, and more likely to get moisture in your Eustachian tubes. (Like eye drops, where you take care not to touch the dropper to your eye, so as not to spread things.)

Here's the various ways we were taught to do it:

Nasal irrigate at least two hours before bedtime; this give residual water a chance to evaporate out of your sinus cavities -- too much moisture in there can cause as many problems as too little.

Place about a teaspoon of non-iodized salt in a large glass of warm water to dissolve.  The closer the water is to body temperature, the more comfortable the process.

Method 1: Pour some of the water into your cupped hand, and if you are not congested or showing signs of infection, do the tilt method like everyone else has depicted (better than I can  Wink ) -- just instead of the pot you pour the saline solution along your troughed fingers and into your nostril.

Method 2: If you need to do your sinus' separately, press your finger to one nostril, plunge the other into your cupped hand, and gently snort some water up; then tilt your head forward and down to let it run back out; follow with a few gentle puffs out, to clear the residual moisture.  Repeat on other side.
     Alternatively, you can snort the saline up the nostril less gently, and spit it out your mouth.  This is apparently the most common (and swiftest) method where they studied in India, but can be really difficult for westerners to wrap their mind/bodies around.

Method 3: Sort of the reverse of the above.  Make sure your mouth is clean -- brushed, flossed, and (as someone's craftster's avatar reminds us) don't forget to brush your tongue.
      Take a mouthful of the warm water into your mouth, press one nostril closed with a finger, and snort the water out your sinus.

Obscure Method:  You probably will never hear of this one anyplace else.  My teachers taught me it because I need the rinsing so much (I'm allergic to just about any particle that can get into a nose), but have an insanely touchy gag reflex.
      Make sure your mouth is clean (see above). Take a large mouthful of the water.  Bend at the waist and hang your head below your knees! Once you get the hang of it (no pun intended), gravity will pull the water into your sinus', and when you stand up (slowly, please) it will drain out. Then do the wee clearing puffs as always.

Smiley Hope this is some use to someone sometime  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
anniefee
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006 12:19:05 PM »

I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a really good idea! I have HORRIBLE sinuses and all-year allergies, and my mom won't let me go and get those shots for allergies, so I may just have to try this...
Can anyone give me like a price estimate??? <i'm kind of broke...>

I learned to do this from my hatha yoga teachers.  They stressed two things that differ from the neti pot method: 1) that you do not need to spend money on a pot and 2) that if you have an infection in one sinus, and rinse side-to-side, you are likely to infect the other one, and more likely to get moisture in your Eustachian tubes. (Like eye drops, where you take care not to touch the dropper to your eye, so as not to spread things.)

Here's the various ways we were taught to do it:

Nasal irrigate at least two hours before bedtime; this give residual water a chance to evaporate out of your sinus cavities -- too much moisture in there can cause as many problems as too little.

Place about a teaspoon of non-iodized salt in a large glass of warm water to dissolve.  The closer the water is to body temperature, the more comfortable the process.

Method 1: Pour some of the water into your cupped hand, and if you are not congested or showing signs of infection, do the tilt method like everyone else has depicted (better than I can  Wink ) -- just instead of the pot you pour the saline solution along your troughed fingers and into your nostril.

Method 2: If you need to do your sinus' separately, press your finger to one nostril, plunge the other into your cupped hand, and gently snort some water up; then tilt your head forward and down to let it run back out; follow with a few gentle puffs out, to clear the residual moisture.  Repeat on other side.
     Alternatively, you can snort the saline up the nostril less gently, and spit it out your mouth.  This is apparently the most common (and swiftest) method where they studied in India, but can be really difficult for westerners to wrap their mind/bodies around.

Method 3: Sort of the reverse of the above.  Make sure your mouth is clean -- brushed, flossed, and (as someone's craftster's avatar reminds us) don't forget to brush your tongue.
      Take a mouthful of the warm water into your mouth, press one nostril closed with a finger, and snort the water out your sinus.

Obscure Method:  You probably will never hear of this one anyplace else.  My teachers taught me it because I need the rinsing so much (I'm allergic to just about any particle that can get into a nose), but have an insanely touchy gag reflex.
      Make sure your mouth is clean (see above). Take a large mouthful of the water.  Bend at the waist and hang your head below your knees! Once you get the hang of it (no pun intended), gravity will pull the water into your sinus', and when you stand up (slowly, please) it will drain out. Then do the wee clearing puffs as always.

Smiley Hope this is some use to someone sometime  Wink

i was going to reply with all of those methods, too, as a free (minus the cost of table salt) way to clean your sinuses.......surprisingly, my family doctor recommended all those, even that obscure one, to me about 8 years ago. if i would do it as faithfully as he recommended my sinuses would be a lot healthier. unfortunately i'm lazy.

anyway, hooray for craftster sinusitis! or something....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." Teddy Roosevelt

http://annieisabel.etsy.com
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007 01:05:33 PM »

Hey everybody - don't forget to keep it on-topic and crafty/diy!
Thanks!
Batgirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
thecraftyminx

To fail is to try in the first place.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009 03:52:09 AM »

You can make a PH balance solution with one teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda,one teaspoon of sea salt dissolved into a pint of warm previously boiled water.  It is only good for a day if it is not refridgerated.  It can be used as an eye bath or to rinse sinuses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009 07:52:27 PM »

I have such probs with allergies I made my own out of ceramic.But I have yet to glaze it.It's not going to be the most lovely thing but God Bless Neti Pots!LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
erinmarieZ
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009 08:11:41 AM »

I found out about this method about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago now?  When I first heard of it I had a HORRIBLE sinus infection(I get them all the time)...and with no idea where to get a netti pot...I came up with my own solution.

I warmed up some water, and salt...pour that into a mug.  And got a turkey baster that I knew had never been used, and never would be.  I got some of the solution into the baster.  And did the indivual cleaning of each nostril.(not the side to side)....it got EVERYTHING out.  I mean everything.  I was amazed.  It helped me clear up so much faster. 

About 1 year ago my mom got me a real netti pot...and I've used it on and off.  As well as the "sinurinse" bottle.  But honestly, these methods with their prepacked salt packet have not worked as well as my turkey baster and table salt.  So I say defintaley go for making your own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/erinmarieZ

"I do not regret the things I've done, only those I did not do"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...