A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maki Sushi TP Cozy (knit version tutorial)  (Read 42133 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cozy , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
mk_carroll
« on: April 04, 2005 03:01:35 PM »

Maki Sushi Toilet Paper Cozy, all knit version
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1353/637459876_4e000d047a_o.jpg

Maki Sushi Toilet Paper Cozy, crochet+knit version
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1149/848405619_42c9dd6b83_m.jpg

My original crochet and crochet + knit versions are available for free in the first issue of CrochetMe magazine.  The knit version below has been rewritten as of September 2007 to address some design issues.  If you really want the very first version of this knit pattern, it's still available on my blog.  
supplies
US #6/4mm double pointed needles
worsted weight yarn, white and black (this pattern doesn't use much; you could get several cozies from a single skein of each color)
scrap yarns in assorted colors, as desired for filling
blunt yarn needle
stitch marker (or coilless safety pin)
roll of toilet paper to use as a fitting model

gauge is not vital to this project, as you will be fitting it to the model as you go.  

glossary of terms:
yf = yarn forward.  This is an increase - like doing a yarn over (yo) but taking the yarn from the back of the needle to the front of the needle.  If you don't like it, use a different increase, like kfb (knit front and back) or m1 (make one).

rice
CO 8, divide among 4 needles.  Mark beginning of round.
1) k all
2) *yf, k1* = 16 sts
3) k all
4) *yf, k2* = 24 sts
5) k all
6) *yf, k1* = 32 sts
7) k all
8) *yf, k9* = 40 sts
9) k all
10) *yf, k5* = 48 sts
12) k all
13) *yf, k6* = 56 sts
15) k all
check for fit if it almost fits the top of the tp roll, continue with nori.  If its not quite there, continue, checking for fit and moving on to nori when youve reached the desired diameter:
16) *yf, k7* = 64 sts
17) k all
18) *yf, k8* = 72 sts
19) k all
20) *yf, k9* = 80 sts
21) k all
22) *yf, k10* = 88 sts
23) k all

nori
switch to black yarn.  Knit one round, purl one round, then knit all following rounds until sides measure 4.5/11.5cm or 1/2 shorter than desired length.  Work k1, p1 ribbing for 3 rounds and bind off.

Return to the beginning - using yarn needle, thread tail through first 6 sts and draw together to close the center.  

Weave in all ends.

fillings
using scrap yarns and blunt yarn needle, stitch in fillings as desired.  I marked off the inner 7 rounds and kept the fillings within that perimeter.  Recommended: acquire maki sushi for study purposes and then eat.

options
- more sushi + knitting: super tasty sushi stitch markers at Amyville.com!  She also has cupcake, donut, and chocolate.
-use a boucl yarn for the rice
- larger needles, like US 7 (4.5mm) or 8 (5mm), will save you some time and the results will still look good; the toilet paper might show through a little.
- glue or sew on pieces of felt or other fabric instead of embroidering the fillings
-if working on double pointed needles is not your idea of a good time, you can work the pattern back and forth in stockinette and then seam it up at the end.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014 05:22:33 AM by HSG - Reason: Changed broken images to links and rescued thumbnail. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005 04:41:44 PM »

This freakin' kicks a$$!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005 05:03:35 PM »

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw this, mk_carroll!  Must have!  Aieeee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
Kimbabwe
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005 08:38:51 PM »

HA! That's hilarious! And spectacularly clever... I just might have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing! Great project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowflake
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005 10:01:48 PM »

This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jayamaree
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005 10:30:55 PM »

omg that rocks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RomBookLover

All I hear is blah, blah, blah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005 12:11:51 AM »

Absofrigginlutely awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gigi Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005 11:38:35 PM »

Oh my goodness! I was in a frantic search to find something perfect to make for a friend's birthday on friday and here this project comes to save my life!  Awesome. Thanks so much for the pattern.  It's just too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
applejuicemoose
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005 11:44:23 AM »

hahahaha, that is WAAAAY too fabulous! I'm totally gonna make six for a pack of sushi. and maybe knit up some wasabi and ginger!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005 01:52:22 PM »

hahahaha, that is WAAAAY too fabulous! I'm totally gonna make six for a pack of sushi. and maybe knit up some wasabi and ginger!!!!

You could make wasabi & ginger as feminine item cozy!!!
I am so loving the sushi-- Thank you mk_carroll!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005 07:47:21 PM »

Weeeee! Like it big time!   Cheesy

And A Bonus: when I clicked on the thread I was assuming that TP mean Tea Pot Cozy, so now I have twice the areas of inspiration -- Thanks mk_carroll!

PSmith
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
mk_carroll
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005 08:09:22 PM »

Quote from: PimpernelSmith
when I clicked on the thread I was assuming that TP mean Tea Pot Cozy

Ooo!  You could make two tops and then have just a little nori in between - I like!

Quote from: applejuicemoose
You could make wasabi & ginger as feminine item cozy!!!

Fabulous!  The wasabi could be i-cord, coiled up, and the ginger could be done as...ruffles, maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gigi Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005 01:52:48 AM »

mk_carroll, I am working it in the crochet/knit pattern found on the CrochetMe Magazine link you posted.  I'm still working in the white yarn on about row 7 around.  It is round, but isn't laying flat.  It is sort of developing a wavy manner that is worrying me.  Almost like the pattern (or my understanding of the pattern) has too many stitches on each row.

Is this normal at this stage? Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or not understanding about the pattern?  Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005 01:44:32 PM »

I'm still working in the white yarn on about row 7 around.  It is round, but isn't laying flat.  It is sort of developing a wavy manner that is worrying me.  Almost like the pattern (or my understanding of the pattern) has too many stitches on each row.
You've got it - there are too many stitches, possibly for the yarn you are using and/or the gauge you are working at.  Rip back and redo row 7 as [sc in ea st], then work a row as originally instructed for row 7, and continue with the pattern as written.  If you are still getting waviness, put in a plain row [sc in ea st] between the increase rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gigi Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005 02:14:14 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the help, that sounds like it will work just fine.  I really appreciate it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bee

ohhh eeee it stung me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005 03:42:05 AM »

i thought it was an actual toilet cozy.  i thought, wow, that's dedication!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

je love toi so much.
doriori
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005 08:58:20 AM »

Is anyone else really craving sushi now??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The only difference between religion and superstition is the spelling."
sedrasmom
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005 10:45:35 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing this idea! I'm going to make this for my mom for Mother's day! It's so freaking perfect because we're  Japanese!  Grin

Monica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
jezebel7383
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005 11:34:23 PM »

I think it would make a really cute hat! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malia
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2005 11:34:29 AM »

Thank you for sharing!  It's so cute.  My mom would love it--everytime we're asked to a party, she's always asked to make her famous sushi rolls.  (Sometimes I wonder if that's the only reason we're invited!)  Roll Eyes

I think my grandma will get a kick out of it too.  Thank you for sharing your tutorial!  I can't wait to make a few.
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sedrasmom
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005 06:25:35 PM »

The first one I tried, my daughter stole it and wore it as a hat. It doesn't look so much like sushi then though.

Monica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
mk_carroll
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005 11:55:02 PM »

The first one I tried, my daughter stole it and wore it as a hat. It doesn't look so much like sushi then though.

Monica

You can see a photo of a crocheted maki hat over at Lindamade.com's Happy Customer page.  By the way, she's no longer selling maki sushi tp cozies, so please don't give her any heat about it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gigi Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005 09:11:01 PM »

I finished mine last week and gave them to my friend for her housewarming present last Friday.  She loved them! between that and the Kure Kure Takura bag I made her she was almost in tears! Thanks so much mk_carroll for the pattern(s).

Here are pictures of mine. 
I subbed red glass beads for the french knot looking things on mk_carroll's version.
I am not an embroiderer, so the tops left a little to be desired, lol, but I tried hard.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowflake
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005 05:53:12 PM »

I am just wondering...  where does the toilet paper come out from?  do we pull it out from the middle, where the "ingredients" are?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mk_carroll
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005 11:36:18 PM »

I am just wondering...  where does the toilet paper come out from?  do we pull it out from the middle, where the "ingredients" are?

This is just to cover up the spare roll, usually kept on the tank.  If my brother had his way, he'd just stack rolls of toilet paper into a wall next to the toilet so that he'd never have to worry about replacing the spare roll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pie
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005 11:24:10 PM »

Hee hee, this is such a cute pattern I just had to try it  Cheesy. I made mine as a Kappa Maki which worked out great because I had some green leftover yarn. To make the cucumber filling I just knitted it as a separate piece and sewed it on (I don't know any embroidery techniques) so it's a little lumpy, but I like it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gigi Icon
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005 10:58:03 AM »

Cute! It looks good in all knit like that, too.  Good job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005 07:36:26 PM »

Shocked
oh.
my.
god.

that is so awesome! i never want to put my tp on the back of my tank b/c i'm afraid it'll get dusty and ...ew..
i can't knit or crochet this but i can definitely make a felt cozy Cheesy

awesome! great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
sedrasmom
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2005 07:57:30 PM »

Here's the crocheted version I made for my mom for Mother's Day, very fitting since we are Japanese! I did not use the pattern, I just winged it, then added makeshift yarn embroidery. Thanks so much for sharing this idea!

Monica

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elliela

And knitting and knitting and knitting......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2005 08:58:08 AM »

MK,

Let me add my WOW! to this faboo pattern.
Can't wait to make it.

Monica,
There's no photo in your last post. Or is it there and I can't see it?
BTW...I adore TMBG. My daughter once played with them onstage.
It was an amazing moment.
I even named my blog after one of their songs.

Take care,
Ellen
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005 08:59:56 AM by elliela » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoholic
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2005 02:38:54 PM »

Holy cow this is amazing!!!  We love to eat sushi so why not have sushi TP covers in the house???  Hmmm...can you tell I like Japanese?  We even have guinea pigs in the family named Miso and Udon!  Lol!  I must add this to the "to do" list now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corkyface
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2005 06:27:43 PM »

it would be awesome to make into an ottoman!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buhnuh
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2005 12:36:54 PM »

Just finished my cozy!  This was fun.  I dropped it in the mail to my friend Jen this morning.  The only problem I had was because I didn't feel like dealing with dpns I knitted the nori flat and decided to seam it up after.  I must have miscalculated or something because I ended up with about 5" of overlap.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
googoojue
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2006 10:31:25 PM »

yum.. it might disappear when there are guests at your house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006 10:49:39 PM »

FYI: I did another version of this pattern with "bamboo mat" tank runner, matching washcloth and bathmat for Knitty Gritty (Episode DKNG-411).  The patterns are available for free from DIY, and the episodes will air September 11:30 am EST, Sept 16 4:30 pm EST, and Oct 10, 11:30 am EST.  I've got additional information about the patterns on my blog.  Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jackie Lim

Handmade is beautiful

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007 07:55:25 PM »

Wow,the Sushi looks yummy.

I wish to make it...........but have lots of projects to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you find yourself saying "But I can't do this subject...", Try adding the word "YET". Keep trying and never give up. It is only a matter of time when you will finally succeed.

My blogspot - http://www.jackielimcrafts.blogspot.com/

Find me in Ravelry - jackky68
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007 02:31:21 PM »

This is a crochet version, but I just had to share!!!  Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2007 03:05:10 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration for a crochet one. I just might have to make one now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
mk_carroll
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007 02:20:51 PM »

This is a crochet version, but I just had to share!!!  Thanks for the idea!
Trifarina, that looks great!  I love the stitching on the top!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachtastic
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008 06:33:43 PM »

i was thinking of making a sushi pillow; maybe i'll use your pattern and just stuff it instead.  xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annasrobbie
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008 06:52:25 AM »

Oh I do love it!  The crochet version is really great too because the "nubby" crochet stitches look alot like rice (at least to me).  I wish I hadn't just started a sweater yesterday....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Smoked Salmon Fettuccine
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...