A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,891
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: little(ish) black (and blue) dress  (Read 1646 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
redbricks
« on: June 07, 2009 03:24:08 PM »

Hey folks,

Here's today's creation: a black and blue dress from a butterick pattern.  Overall, I'm still not happy with it but it turned out okay.  I need to figure out how to get the darts on the front to lie flatter--it makes me look pregnant from the side (any ideas on that?)

Isn't hemmed yet, btw.

Front:

Back:

Thanks for looking, and let me know what you think!  I think I should have left it all black, but that seemed so dark.  I'm wondering if a red band would have looked better...and if I have enough fabric left to make another Smiley

Have a great day!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009 03:29:43 PM by redbricks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009 03:51:19 PM »

no clue as to why the darts would make you look pregnant, but I think the blue really livens it up, looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!
facebook
herringbone
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009 04:37:12 PM »

I really like the dress! no idea on the darts, but i think a blue/black combination is so much more elegant than red/black. If elegant is what you want?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
horrorbot
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009 01:54:16 AM »

This looks amazingly awesome.
I'll be on the lookout for this pattern next time I'm in my sewing center! Smiley

As for the darts (sorry if this sounds confusing), I had the same problem until I was taught to sew them up to one thread away from the edge. Then, I'd pull out the fabric, causing the thread to loop/spin around, then in the triangle part of the fabric, backtack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~dani~
Always know where your towel is!!!

Team Jasper :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009 05:44:35 PM »

ooooh I like it! Love the buttons on the back too. I have the same problem sometimes with dresses making me look pregnant - I mean I cant see it in your photos, but theres usually three reasons why it happens to me -

1. I have a gut, so if anything is too tight it shows. But from your photos your a skinny girly, so I doubt thats the issue Smiley

2. my waist darts are too short, or too long - they either need to stop above your stomach, or go below it (sounds crazy but looks good). Your look like they might be ending on your stomach... try ending them a little higher perhaps?

3. Ive forgotten to iron the darts flat

Having said that, I love the dress, and cant see how it makes you look preggers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

These are my footprints, so perfect and so small. These tiny footprints, never touched the ground at all.
Not one tiny footprint, for now I have my wings. These tiny footprints were meant for other things.
littlemuffler
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009 09:29:56 AM »

i love it! you did a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...