A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
240 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ferret Litter Box Solution!!!!  (Read 17974 times)
Tags for this thread: litter_box , ferret  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 07, 2009 02:01:53 PM »

I've finally outsmarted my two crafty devious little ferrets. Thanks to my hubby who came up with the idea I just implemented it and wanted to share with others.

Basically my ferrets know how to use a litter box. But due to my cage being a super pet plastic bottom/wire top cage I could not fasten the box in place well enough to prevent their need for ferret order.(aka chaos) and they would decide to move the box only to poop right where it used to be and then dig in the box. After all it's been moved so it's a toy not a potty anymore right?

Well I didn't want to drill holes in the plastic cage as that effects resale value and I don't intend to have ferrets forever. When these two are gone I'm taking a break. I'd considered magnets, Velcro, tried bungle cord, only to have the ferrets scoff and move the box within minutes of cleaning the cage. So this solution was cooked up.

Basically we bought the biggest litter box in Wal*mart. Then went to the fasteners in the tool section and bought 3 swivel snaps and oval shaped rings that have a little screw to make them open and close. The other hardware is part of a package of 4 parts (3 of which we used) to thread metal wire through to make a pulley. (if you know the names for these please share so I can help others)
I drilled 2 holes in 3 corners of the litter box with my dremil and hand screwed the parts in place. I used pliers to tighten them up properly. Added litter and whala!:

whole litter box attached to cage:

And closeup of bottom of contraption:

Good news! Litter box hasn't been able to be moved. It's been over a week and while they think it's great fun to "tunnel" behind the box they can't budge it, flip it, move it, etc. It's set in place!  On top of that they are now using the box 100% which is VERY rare for ferrets. Smiley I think they are beat and Now rather than spending hours scrubbing the bottom of the cage I can spend 5 minutes dumping or scooping out the box and go about my day! Here are my two devious little critters:

Hope this helps others who may need to outfit their ferrets cages!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009 02:09:57 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
cookiemaker
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009 02:08:23 PM »

OMG! My ferret used to do the same thing with his box! It was a corner box, and the little jerk just moved it and crapped on the floor. We just gave up and piled a ton of litter in the corner though, and he liked it. Ingenius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009 02:11:31 PM »

OMG! My ferret used to do the same thing with his box! It was a corner box, and the little jerk just moved it and crapped on the floor. We just gave up and piled a ton of litter in the corner though, and he liked it. Ingenius!
I was almost to that point. But then I'd still have to scrub the bottom of the cage and since it's plastic eventually the acid in their urine would ruin the plastic. The cage is no longer made by super pet so I can't replace it either. Sad But I know what you mean! When I got them all they had was one tiny corner box which they did the same thing with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009 03:15:16 PM »

awww.. their little spirits are broken...  Cry     hahahahaaa...   Grin
Don'tcha LOVE it when you find a simple solution to such a frustrating problem.  It seems like, "hey, I'm at the top of the food chain, I should be able to outsmart this weasel easier than this!"  But those little critters are SMART!!  This is exactly why I will never get a ferret, I spend enough time trying to stay ahead of 2 chihuahuas and a kitten!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecuadoriana
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009 04:50:14 PM »

Great solution to the never ending "ferrets love to redecorate" dilemma!!! They do love to rearrange their furniture don't they?!! (We have two fuzzies, so I understand your plight! But they are sooooo worth it!) Your two are adorable! And I bet they are so flustered now that they'll have to devise a new way to drive you crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjpuppy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009 05:18:42 PM »

I want to thank you soooo much for this idea. My three fuzzies are always moving or dumping their boxes. I have tried everything I could think of. This looks perfect!!! And it looks easy to take out the boxes to clean too. I have the same type of cage as you do and with the bottom part being high sided plastic, the new litter boxes they are making with the wing nut  does not fit the high sided cages. Thank you again! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers do it on pins and needles
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009 08:30:32 AM »

I want to thank you soooo much for this idea. My three fuzzies are always moving or dumping their boxes. I have tried everything I could think of. This looks perfect!!! And it looks easy to take out the boxes to clean too. I have the same type of cage as you do and with the bottom part being high sided plastic, the new litter boxes they are making with the wing nut  does not fit the high sided cages. Thank you again! Grin

It's so easy to clean. Took less than 5 minutes maybe less than 2. I didn't really time it. I"m glad I could help! Feel free to pass it on to other ferret owners. Cleanup shouldn't be frustrating! Our fuzzies are fun and cleanup should be easy. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009 08:30:48 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meganchristine504
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009 11:09:56 AM »

wow. i can't believe i never thought of this! what a great idea! i am totally doing this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009 01:50:50 PM »

It really has been so helpful! Glad to help you too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CAMPERTRONNN
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009 01:39:27 PM »

WOW! What a great idea!! I think I just found my christmas present for my brothers ferret!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...