A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
279 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First polymer clay earrings!!!  (Read 1523 times)
Tags for this thread: twilight , fingernail_polish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sorbetsurprise
« on: June 03, 2009 02:28:13 PM »

I haven't made anything with Fimo since I was really little but have seen such lovely things on here I wanted to give it a try.  Luckily for my birthday, my lovely friend bought my a pack of Fimo Soft.  I was a bit dubious about using this as it is so soft that it is very easy to mould but also easy to accidentally squidge the details.  Next time I think I will try part baking bits to see if that helps.  The only shop that sells it in my town only does soft so any advice would be appreciated. 

My first attempt, fancied some little apple earrings, possibly Twilight-esque, I work in a book store so its kind of appropriate heehee

Cupcake earrings, really like how these turned out and I added glitter afterwards and thought the ribbon would look cute too, not worn these yet, not sure if work would tell me off heehee

Ice creams because I loooove ice cream, I'm really very addicted.  I am extremely pleased how these have turned out, glitter on the sauce again to jazz them up.  Would make the brown more cone coloured next time.

Had a quick go at making a cane, never done it before and really wasn't sure it would work with soft.  Turned out completely unexpected but I quite like it.  Will try putting it in the fridge next time so it doesn't distort so much.  Quite like the way it looks smudged though.

Made these peacock feather ones for the Burlesque swap, really pleased with these too

I covered them all with nail polish as didn't have any varnish and used one with very fine glitter, just coz I love all things glittery and thinks it adds a little something Tongue

Many thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KedaZenovka
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 04:03:29 PM »

nice! I love the apple ones...

nail polish? wow I never thought of that! I have a very old pot of fimo varnish that I found at the bottom of a cupboard, when it runs out I will resort to nail polish! great idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
texmexie
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009 10:55:42 PM »

those are so great!  good job!  my fav is the apples!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So we are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If grace is an ocean we're all sinking"
                     *Jesus Culture*
sorbetsurprise
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009 11:06:02 AM »

Thanks guys!  Yeah nail polish seems to work heehee I wasn't one hundred percent sure but didn't see why not.  No where round here sells proper varnish anyway!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Copy Right
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009 09:53:06 AM »

Your creations are great! But, you shouldn't continue to use nail polish, as something in it breaks down the clay, though you may not see it immediately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sorbetsurprise
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009 02:27:43 PM »

oo thanks for the tip, didn't know that, will have trouble getting varnish though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009 09:27:09 AM »

Nice job!

Btw, fingernail polish is only bad for polymer clay if it's the kind that has a petroleum-based solvent in it rather than a water-based solvent.  The first kind are often called "enamels" but many times the type isn't really indicated on the bottle; the kind intended for acrylic fingernails is always water-based though, and I know the Maybelline Wet 'N Shine or something like that is good too because other clayers have checked it.
(more info on good and bad clear finishes for polymer clay on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm )

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...