A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,008
Currently Running With Scissors:
222 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cold Lunch Recipes?  (Read 6114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

strappleangst
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009 06:36:36 PM »

I'm a big bagel fan myself. My mom makes these really great ones with an onion bagel and then cream cheese, avocado and cooked egg whites. And peanut butter, bannan and honey sandwiches are always good Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gumbowumbo
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009 08:49:35 PM »

My husband is a sucker for cold fried chicken (it is soooo much better cold)!  Fried chicken has always been a well-traveled food, it was carted across our country in horse drawn wagons!  I still throw in some 'blue ice' for safety.  I typically add a twice baked potato salad to the mix.  I use a thermal bento which works wonders on hot and cold food.  Ope, the hubs is reading this now, I guess it's cold fried chicken for lunch tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theatre education is less about acting and more about crafting.  I design and build sets, costumes, lighting plots, theatrical cosmetics, and I LOVE dying, aging, and distressing anything!
greengeekgirl
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009 07:31:25 AM »

I've actually been having the same issues making lunch for my boyfriend.  If you're into tuna (although this could work with chicken), I have an awesome healthy tuna salad recipe:

2 tins tuna (whatever kind you prefer)
1 avocado, mashed
1 tbsp mustard (or however much you like)
1/2 a small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
green onions, chopped, to your taste
green olives, chopped, to your taste
raisins or currants
cumin
paprika
freshly grated nutmeg
dash of hot sauce
juice of a lemon or lime

Basically, the avocado takes the place of mayo in this recipe.  It comes out like tuna guacamole, with a bit of sweet kick from the raisins or currants.  It's definitely a different take on your normal tuna or chicken salad.  The recipe uses two tins because that's a good proportion for the avocado, but it keeps okay for a few days in the fridge if you keep it covered with plastic wrap (pressed down onto the salad to seal the avocado from as much air as possible).

Greek Orzo Salad

This is something we used to serve at Wild Oats.  I don't really have measurements for the recipe, sorry :|

1 lb cooked orzo pasta, cooled
feta cheese, crumbled
kalamata olives (or whatever kind you prefer)
cucumber, chopped
fresh tomatoes, chopped
roasted red peppers, chopped
vinaigrette of red wine vinegar and olive oil (seasoned with salt and pepper; fresh dill might be a good addition, as well!)

Combine until happy ^_^

Crud.. thanks for reminding me that I used to work in a deli!!! I should have no issues whatsoever making cold lunches  Grin

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009 07:33:00 AM by greengeekgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Susan Michelle Rodarme

http://www.etsy.com/shop/glamourandearth

"Pretty things... so what if I like pretty things?"
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009 06:36:24 PM »

Gazpacho is easy to whip up in large amounts and portion out into smaller containers.  Very refreshing in the summer, and all the ingredients are in season. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
hoppy

she's crafty, she gets around...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009 06:26:58 PM »

Have you ever made summer or salad rolls? You'll need  rice paper wrappers -I get them from the asian market, but some grocery stores carry them in the asian section. They are round like a tortilla and sort of transluscent and hard, but when you are ready to assemble you soak them in warm water for a minute or two and they get all nice and pliable. I think traditionally you fill them with cooked vermicelli noodles, a few shrimp or chicken, a combo of basil, mint or cilantro, carrots,  and lettuce or cabbage. Then you fold them like an egg roll and keep them moist or just stow in an airtight container with a damp paper towel. Obviously you could fill them with whatever you wanted. Then when you eat them, dip in a tasty sauce-I like hoisin lightened with lime juice or satay sauce.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vietnamese-Salad-Rolls/Detail.aspx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MizMosa
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009 04:57:55 PM »

A few of my cold lunch favorites:

hard boiled eggs
hummus with pita chips or wedges
pasta salad (I prefer vinaigrette dressings rather than mayo based ones.  they're also less likely to spoil in the heat)
veggies and dip
cottage cheese with fruit

Varying the types of bread you use to make sandwiches can be a nice change of pace, too.  Try using a bagel, pita, or tortilla instead of regular bread.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009 01:17:14 PM »

bulgar salad aka tabbouleh, aka, syrian slad

bulgar wheat (let it soak in double the amount of water as wheat, until it absorbs it all)

chopped:lettuce
              tomato
              green bell pepper
               green onion
               --i like to add, fresh herbs like cilantro or basil
               --you could also add shredded chicken

mix it all together and drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice on it, and then mix again.

i also like to put what i would put in a sandwhich ( like tuna salad) and stuff a bell pepper with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
cowgirlz101
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009 07:33:54 PM »

I like to bring crackers and cheese and fruit. Or flour tortillas rolled up with sandwich meat and cheese, and a little mayo, or mustard, or even ranch dressing. Leftovers that you can eat cold work good too. Like leftover chicken, a roll/bread, fruit. Cold pasta salads, green salads, mmmm but my fav is hummus, and bagels!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: No-Kill Cactus
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Skirt
Meatless Monday: Naan Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...