A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
183 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The great t-shirt resurrection  (Read 3710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MissJessica
« on: May 30, 2009 08:16:15 AM »

Here a few recent t-shirt recons.

The first is a two-become-one project:

As you can see, my favorite horsey shirt had become very rotten in the armpits. This is a constant problem with cheap t-shirts, but it means I get to do a lot of t-shirt recons. Yey! The yellow shirt was just too short. Here is how it turned out:

The next one is more elaborate than my usual attempts.

Sorry for the cheesy poses. The light blue tee came from a high school robotics competition in which some of my students participated. I liked the design but it was just too boxy. (Their robot's name was Scrappy.)

The neckline and sleeves on this tee dress are far from perfect, but I did spend a lot of time problem solving, and I'm happy with how it turned out. I wish I'd off set the bodice and waistline with the red or the dark blue. Here's a shot of the neckline in my filthy mirror (sorry):

The other parts of the dress were leftovers from another recon I did for Valentine's Day:

Polka dot shirt (with rotten armpits) and red long sleeve boxy shirt from Target.
Here's an action shot at a conference in Chicago. (On Valentine's Day. Much colder than today.) Yey free books!

Thanks for looking! T-shirts are amongst my favorite recon projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009 08:58:34 AM »

what great recons!
great work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malmow
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009 09:00:25 AM »

I love the first one the most, but these are all awesome. I can't wait to learn how to sew. You're quite pretty, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SooStark
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009 09:10:07 AM »

love them all , specially the last one it totally rocks, doncha just hate it when the armpits go in t's
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaborsk

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009 09:13:02 AM »

they all look great! i think the last one might be my favorite, which is surprising since i'm not a big hearts/pink kinda gal. it looks great on you though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
MissJessica
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009 09:50:11 AM »

Thanks everyone!
I love the first one the most, but these are all awesome. I can't wait to learn how to sew. You're quite pretty, btw.
Especially thanks to you <3
Craftster folks are so encouraging. I'm off to go tackle more tees, because honestly, yes, almost all of my armpits are rotten. I may need stronger deodorant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009 10:31:27 AM »

All the outfits are awesome and so cute!  I really love the dress, and I'm impressed with your finishing technique - the colored bindings look really nice.  Whenever I cut tshirts into strips like that, they just stretch like crazy.  Do you use a serger or some kind of stabilizer?  Anyway, you look great in your shirts, thanks for sharing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
MissJessica
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009 10:38:48 AM »

All the outfits are awesome and so cute!  I really love the dress, and I'm impressed with your finishing technique - the colored bindings look really nice.  Whenever I cut tshirts into strips like that, they just stretch like crazy.  Do you use a serger or some kind of stabilizer?  Anyway, you look great in your shirts, thanks for sharing! 

First of all, thank you. Second of all, I know what you mean about the stretching. I don't have a serger. I use a stretch stitch setting on my sewing machine (I think regular stitch works too.) I stretch both fabrics a little bit when sewing. It's more like just holding them taut, so that when they're not stretched, the stitches hold it in tighter but it can still stretch when you put it on. When I make the bindings, I cut the length I want but fold the width in half. So the bindings are actually folded side out, so it's double layered. Does this make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009 12:18:02 PM »

Does this make sense?

I think so, thanks!  I'll have to give it a try, I love the finished look of your stuff.  Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009 01:08:50 PM »

They all look amazing but I have to say I really like that blue dress t-shirt. The neckline is super pretty and flattering. Not like some unwearable t-shirt recons I've seen.
Very good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...