A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,839
Currently Running With Scissors:
194 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Table-Top Kiln with Dichroic Pendants Ready to Go!  (Read 2207 times)
Tags for this thread: dichroic_glass , fused_glass  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
joby560
« on: May 29, 2009 08:42:13 PM »

Well, I ordered up one of those Firefly Kilns for the tabletop with a digital box on the outside.  It is pretty slick.  I just loaded these into it for the first firing.  Let's see how they turn out!

They are supposed to be pendants on clear glass with dichroic glass sandwiched between. 

Keeping my fingers crossed that they turn out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
NicoleHessling
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 08:57:32 PM »

Very Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 10:48:22 PM »

fun, fun, FUN!  They look like they'll be awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joby560
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009 10:30:29 AM »

Here we go!  Just opened the kiln and this is what they look like. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009 08:32:53 AM »

Those are pretty. I looked up info about your kiln and I like that it is small and portable. I have a small house so something to big won't work for me.  I have a question, I didn't see an option for it but do you know if that model can use a bead collar? I do lampwork beads too so I would want a kiln with the bead collar to anneal my beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009 10:40:16 AM »

I don't think the Firefly does have the capability of a bead collar, though I could be wrong.  There is an almost identical kiln from the same company called the Kiln Caldera that DOES allow for a bead collar.  I have a link to it listed below.  The website mudinmatter.com  is the least expensive place I was able to find either of the kilns.  Shipping was quick, etc.

http://www.mudinmind.com/Kilns/Ceramic+%3C+3+cu+ft/Paragon+Caldera+Kiln.html

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009 10:53:52 AM »

I don't think the Firefly does have the capability of a bead collar, though I could be wrong.  There is an almost identical kiln from the same company called the Kiln Caldera that DOES allow for a bead collar.  I have a link to it listed below.  The website mudinmatter.com  is the least expensive place I was able to find either of the kilns.  Shipping was quick, etc.

http://www.mudinmind.com/Kilns/Ceramic+%3C+3+cu+ft/Paragon+Caldera+Kiln.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link. I'll have to compare the price to my local glass shop as they say they sell their kiln's at 20% off all the time. Plus, they are local and no shiping. But still, I need to save and I'm going to be in a research group for a new medicine and will get paid each visit so it will take a few months to get all my money. I'm going to be a guinea pig for a kiln. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joby560
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009 01:50:56 PM »

You bet!  I researched a bit too and found mudinmind.com  the least expensive and they have free shipping on some of the kilns, the one I got.  If you are just starting out, I recommend spending the extra to get a digital programmable kiln.  Unless you are patient and good with monitoring the heat and adjusting, it makes things a lot easier.  Another $195, but well worth the investment!

Keep us posted on what you get and send some photos so we can see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammiejayr
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009 11:40:32 PM »

Those turned out GREAT!! I love them. I really want to make pendants like that, they are beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...