A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
316 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wallpaper in scrapbooks or other projects  (Read 959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Paper Shred Jane
Freelancer, Crafter Hobbyist

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2009 09:10:52 AM »

A few years ago, I cut up small squares of this beautiful maroon wallpaper, from scraps, and rolled both ends up like a scroll and tied it off with string. I thought it was cute.  What other ideas do you have for utilizing wallpaper scraps?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009 09:11:20 AM by Paper Shred Jane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are several crafts you can do with paper shredder shreds, use it to stuff your creations or for paper dolls...
MegRoseSews
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009 10:32:55 PM »

I got a lot of free wallpaper scrap from a repurposing non profit based out of Palo Alto CA. They are fabmo.org. They have free give aways once  a month. You go to their web site and signup to get informed if you live in the area. They collect samples from design people that otherwise go in the dumpster.

Apparently, as a newbie, I can't post photos yet or I would.

I just made a combination birthday card/mini scrapbook entirely out of wallpaper ends. It was lovely. I treated it like cardmaking and used good old Elmers glue to put it together - each page is two sided. It worked great except that I'd like a brayer for avoiding a few air bubbles. But so it just looks homemade that way. Not a bad thing.

I also made the gift bag for the present out of the wallpaper and I appliqued flowery wallpaper pieces on top of the bag. The Elmers didn't work as well around the corners. I think a gel adhesive might be better. I used stapler and tape too and it worked well. I used a torn, recycled, store gift-bag for a pattern.

I also used lots of paper clips to hold the glued bits in place as they dried.

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Shred Jane

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009 09:04:50 AM »

The bday card/mini scrapbook sounds like a wonderful idea. I would love to see it. On another forum, I posted the question about using wallpaper in scrapbooks and they urged against using it, because of its acidic nature. Have you had any trouble with it?

Thanks.

I got a lot of free wallpaper scrap from a repurposing non profit based out of Palo Alto CA. They are fabmo.org. They have free give aways once  a month. You go to their web site and signup to get informed if you live in the area. They collect samples from design people that otherwise go in the dumpster.

Apparently, as a newbie, I can't post photos yet or I would.

I just made a combination birthday card/mini scrapbook entirely out of wallpaper ends. It was lovely. I treated it like cardmaking and used good old Elmers glue to put it together - each page is two sided. It worked great except that I'd like a brayer for avoiding a few air bubbles. But so it just looks homemade that way. Not a bad thing.

I also made the gift bag for the present out of the wallpaper and I appliqued flowery wallpaper pieces on top of the bag. The Elmers didn't work as well around the corners. I think a gel adhesive might be better. I used stapler and tape too and it worked well. I used a torn, recycled, store gift-bag for a pattern.

I also used lots of paper clips to hold the glued bits in place as they dried.

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are several crafts you can do with paper shredder shreds, use it to stuff your creations or for paper dolls...
MegRoseSews
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009 10:43:59 PM »

Acidic as in it won't last forever? Or something else?

I don't know what the challenges of using it are, because I haven't been using it that long.

I'm not a forever creator. Am just happy that people enjoy something I make as long as they do. One of the reasons I decided it was OK to do mini scrapbooks was that I listened to a CraftyPod podcast about scrapbooks and the person interviewed said that a lot of people no longer stress about archival. She talks about making mini scrapbooks and I felt less overwhelmed at the thought of jumping in.

But mebbe there's something else to consider?

Today I made a darling popup card using wallpaper scrap too. It has a popup upright piano in it. Also I made paper purse/cards for Thoroughly Modern Millie as a friends daughter got the lead in a school version. Will be tucking a gift card in the one for the girl and a hug-from-your-kid card in the one for the parent. Will photo them  before I send it and hopefully I can post all my projects soon.

All were wallpaper scrap and I had a lot of fun making them.

I'm going to try to post a photo as soon as the system lets me and get back to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Shred Jane

Hello, fella craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009 07:32:27 AM »

Well, I can see what you are talking about. Scrapbooks are beautiful and enjoyable, regardless how long you will keep it  but yeah that was what I was talking about - archival.

Where do you find time to work on so many projects?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MegRoseSews
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009 11:12:50 PM »

You asked how I have time to make a lot of projects. Good question.

I'm really working on making simple things and not stressing about perfection and good finishing (actually I never stressed about that). I'm not making more complex sewing projects anymore, just using stuff up into stuff I really use. I make cards and send them out. Are they not perfectly neat? They are not. But I like a home made and had made look. It's not supposed to look like Hallmark.

This is not everybody's thing. It works for me.

xxxx
MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...