A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 320,269
Currently Running With Scissors:
278 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 128341 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2004 11:49:24 PM »

I did a trade over on getcrafty.com and got two beautiful red records. One even says "Twilight on the trail" which is so cool because I love to hike! The normal one is the Sound of Music soundtrack for a friend.

Warning on colored records-they were taking a long time to melt so I cranked the oven up to 235 degrees and left one in for longer than normal. I go to take it out and the ends are MELTED to the cookie sheet. What a mess. I pried it up and managed to give it a good shape. But it took me a good half hour with a lighter "spot melting" the charred parts on the edge. I'm sticking to that 225 temp from now on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
ilovepinksparklies

It's not my fault I have a blonde personality!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2004 04:42:49 PM »

wow! they are VERY cool! i tend to preheat the oven, so they melt VERY quickly (about 30-60 seconds) I made one to put my friends birthday pressie in, she just text me to say how funky it is and how much she loves it!! I still havent been able to find any coloured records though! I want a pink bowl!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitebeltamerica
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2004 06:33:39 PM »

I've been making record bowls for years now, but how the heck did they do this ?! http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jhtml;$sessionid$GWFB1LIAAADUXQFIAMGAOOWAVABQ0FYC?catId=3&catId=3&subCatId=54&itemId=11428
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<i>Vanessa America<i/>
sarikat

Can you tell I'm an Aries?

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2004 01:17:42 PM »

I used E6000 to glue one of those glass-marble-pictures over the hole, and then sealed it with polyurethane varnish.  Looks pretty good to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2004 02:19:06 PM »

this won't completely seal the bowls, but if you just want to make a large hole smaller, you could use one of those plastic clip-in doohickeys expressly designed for that purpose. the thingies you put in 45s. anybody? help me out here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2004 07:56:46 PM »

if you set it on a non-stick surface, you could probably fill the hole with tacky glue and then when it dries, color it with a permanent marker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaxGirl
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2004 03:29:55 PM »

ookpik, were they called adapters?  I bet some could be found at Goodwill still faithfully clinging to thier 45's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
got2b4him247

in omnia paratus

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2004 04:58:56 PM »

I saw them make those into wall sconces on Trading Spaces once and they melted them over coffee tins, which made for a nice shape. Smiley  Just an idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

// Kristen //
// http://iseeyoudear.etsy.com //
mamabunnycat
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2004 05:20:06 PM »

i saw that episode!  it was awesome.  i keep begging my boyfriend to let me decorate his tech room (where he fixes guitars and amps and stuff).. i wanna make that for the room.   but he wont let me..  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uhohyourinfected
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2004 11:20:53 AM »

hey, during my recent record bowl making binge, my mother did some research on the whole process just to make sure it was safe because of the fumes and stuff it created. she discovered that the fumes that heating/melting the vinyl makes is EXTREMELY dangerous and can dramatically increase the chance of cancer in humans (i dont know about your little animal friends, tho)... this discovery extremely dissapointed me... but i figure since it's so hot outside, i can just put them under the sun for awhile.. i havent tried it yet, because i've been busy, but maybe that would be a safer way to cook these buggers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Homemade Sauerkraut
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...