A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
274 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 128336 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

pikabean
also known as Natch

cross my heart and kiss my elbows!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2006 08:58:10 AM »

if you're using the oven melting method, I find that the records really don't droop much at all.  What worked for me was (yes I finally gave in and put one in the oven Wink) taking the warm, floppy record out of the oven (w/ a potholder of course) and then pushing it into a regular bowl   to shape it... if that makes sense.  I only did one, and it was a while ago, but it came out very well.

I also know that some people have trouble with the 45s and with colored and picture records.

and I paid $2 for mine, don't laugh.  I really wanted to try and didn't have time to make a big trip for my records... only to the goodwill near my house... in Manhattan.  hahaha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

godzilla

get back -on track

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2007 07:02:44 AM »

i havent' tried making these yet, but i was wondering about the record coasters that have been mentioned.
when you take the record out of the oven, i understand it cools quickly, but would it be easier to cut? (more malleable)
what i'm getting at:
for the coasters (using only the center of the record) , if you heated the record, took it out and cut the middle out... and since you could re-heat the record maybe you could just warm it up everytime it cools down until you get what you like.
because cutting a regular record doesn't work at all, it breaks up and cracks.
do you think this is do-able??  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chloemarguerite
« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2007 10:23:01 AM »

this is great.
i gave it a try but the stainless steel bowl i used was a bit too big!
can i put it into the oven again, and melt?
i suppose i could.
also i burned the top of my hand on the element  Shocked.
lesson: oven's do burn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FreckledPink
Freckled Pink

Unashamedly Me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2007 07:13:34 AM »

How on earth did someone ever think, "Hmm, I think I'll cook a record and see what comes out?!" Very cool idea...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Romans 9:16 "So then, it does not depend on the man who wills, nor the man who runs, but on God who has mercy."
Vespa Velma
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2007 05:28:59 PM »

OMG. I just gave away a bunch of crappy LPs today to my neighbor's kid and NOW I discover this link!!! How much do you think they'll hate me if I ask if that crate of records back? Hmmm?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TravelBel
« Reply #345 on: August 07, 2007 11:02:08 AM »

Can I ask a stupid question? I made these with my MIL and we melted them over a bowl in the oven. When we pull the record out after it starts to melt, do we then need to transfer it to a second bowl on the inside to get it to keep the form? We had a hard time getting them to look any different - they all had the same shape, regardless of what we melted them over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #346 on: August 08, 2007 04:58:26 PM »

Has anyone done it with the smaller records? What do they turn out like?

They end up looking kind of like ashtrays, since the base, where the label is, stays flat and ends up relatively wide.  Of course there is also a huge hole in the center too. I haven't figured out what to do with these yet...

glue a guitar pick over the hole. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smushisweetbaboo

Anything worth keeping I inevitably give away...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #347 on: August 08, 2007 05:12:09 PM »

not to be a buzzkill cause this is, in theory, a cool idea. But in reality, vinyl albums are made of PVC which is a known carcinogen, dangerous both in initial production and subsequent offgassing. Heating PVC releases dioxins, which are toxic and definitely should NOT be done in an unventilated area or near small children, never mind in an oven, where it may later affect your food. Also, whatever you're using to mold the bowls shouldn't be used again later near food.

I know it seems like everything is 'dangerous' these days and we can't worry about *everything* but this is a pretty big risk, considering the element of heating the PVC and all.

Just thought I'd put my .02 cents in. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguin91
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2007 08:58:52 AM »

Wouldn't washing the bowl you used to mold it be enough?  Or would it still not be safe?  Also, is the hot water method safer, or are the risks pretty much the same?  We have an old pizza oven in our house that we never use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilknitter
« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2008 04:40:39 PM »

Has anyone tried this with older records?  The drama department where I work got rid of a metric ton of their records, but most of them were the older, thicker ones.  I've got ONE vinyl one out of all the ones I grabbed and am hoping it wasn't a complete bust...

Could I just melt them for longer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stained Chairs
Tute Tuesday: Box of Chocolates Wreath
Sweet Hearts

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...