A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
168 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner Sewing Machine - UK  (Read 3727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
soxymoron
« on: May 21, 2009 12:18:30 PM »

I'm sure these threads must get on everyone's nerves but I could really do with some help choosing my first sewing machine - sorry in advance!

I'm looking to spend less than 200. I don't have a local sewing repair shop so I need something relatively durable - this also means I don't want to risk a second hand machine. I've heard John Lewis have very good after sale help and advice - does anyone have any experience of this?

I will be mainly using the machine for simple clothing and bags, I don't think I'll be sewing anything heavier than a couple of layers of thin fleece. I'd also really like to get into quilting so a machine that could also cope with very simple quilts would be great. I'm in love with all the custom machine embroidery I've seen on here though I understand that would be out of my price range - I'd be overjoyed if I could get one with a few stock embroidery fonts though.

So the question is, any recommendations?

At the minute I'm leaning towards the Janone J1024. I know that's a good brand I'm not sure if it'll have everything I need/a bunch of stuff I could do without. I've looked through the how to choose a sewing machine thread but most of it tends towards buying vintage and I'd prefer to buy new.

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hesmywatermelon
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 08:17:46 AM »

Hi!

Im sorry I dont know anything about the Janome, but I thought id put in a good word for john lewis. They are very good when anything you buy from them goes wrong and they do have some nice machines.

I just bought a brother xl5500 online and it works perfectly. I read somewhere that if I change the needle I should be able to do some simple quilting too. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I got it online, 15 year guarantee I think, very reputable, and sewingmachinesdirect.com. It came really quickly too!  Grin

anyway, good luck on your search!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Norosettanne
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009 06:37:30 AM »

Its a shame I didnt see this thread in about November, because thats when I got my sewing machine for 60 in a sale in TJ Huges xD But I heard you can get it for about 80 in argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4600176/c_1/1|category_root|Gifts|12108002/c_2/2|cat_12108002|Art+and+crafts|12108013/c_3/3|cat_12108013|Sewing+machines+and+accessories|12108014.htm

Its my first sewing machine too, and its pretty easy to learn everything you need to know... Most of the screws open with a penny ('cos we dont know what a screwdriver is, aparently xD) and you get pretty much all the feet your gonna need in the accessory pack that you get with it.

From transporting it from my bedroom to my living room for use, I've also found its great instead of lifting weights, lol Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009 07:19:39 AM »

i have a janome sew mini and i love it
i reckon it'd handle quilting, afterall, i've used it to modify jeans and it managed just fine
dunelm have a variety of machines in and i find their habberdashery staff very helpfull
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
soxymoron
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009 01:03:53 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll look into to those websites and the brother machines you mention. You're all stars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil chestnut
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009 06:04:16 AM »

Maybe this is coming a bit late, but I would recommend the Janome 4623; it's not too expensive and works like a charm. Look at online sellers like sewing machines direct/sewing machines sales, Tyson sewing but avoid Coopers; their customer service is terrible.
Hope  that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soxymoron
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009 08:06:24 AM »

That was actually one of the machines on my shortlist, thanks! I think I'll be getting that one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soxymoron
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009 09:37:23 AM »

So I got my Janome today and it was a great choice. Thanks for all your help! I've played around with all the stitches and it's really easy to use. I love how solid all the levers and bits seem, I'm sure it's going to last me a long long time. Now to choose my first real sewing project...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...