A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
197 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Q: problems with dehairing llama on combs  (Read 3298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
misfitknits
« on: May 13, 2009 05:14:11 PM »

so, i have around 8 shorn llama fleeces waiting to be processed. i have already washed one, which took FOREVER, only about 10 washes!!! so i go to start combing it to remove guard hairs, only the guard hairs weren't really coming out?

i have two row majacraft combs. being a beginning comber i'm really not sure what the issue may be? is the guard hair too close of a diameter for the combs to remove? i put some of the combed fiber to my neck and it didn't feel particularly prickly.

can anyone help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009 05:28:33 AM »

10 Washes for a llama?!?!?  Oh my, why?  There is no lanolin and you should only have dust to wash away. Be sure to prep your fiber before you wash it by sorting it and discarding the leg, neck, belly and britchen fiber.  If your fiber is full of VM, get as much of that out before washing.  Washing is to remove dirt & lanolin, not VM.

What combs are meant to do is separate longer and shorter fiber (as well as align them).  I have better luck in dehairing by taking a lock, flicking the cut end, then pulling out the longer guard hairs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
misfitknits
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009 12:06:40 PM »

well, 10 washes because after every cycle, there was still a rim of dirt left around the washer. so i kept repeating until the dirt ring was gone! and there was a lot of vm, but i picked the big stuff *and the britch fiber that was left after skirting, i was given only blankets*.

i have tried to pick the guard hairs out by hand, but it takes forever!!! so i thought i would try combing. plus, i'm trying to find a more efficient way of doing it since i have so many blankets left.

combs should work for dehairing, though, right?? i'm really dissapointed to admit that i just don't think washing and prepairing fleece is for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
knkurz
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010 09:44:05 AM »

I haven't found a good way yet either.  I just take a lock and pull the guard hairs out since they stick out a lot further than the soft inner fibers.  It takes a long time but it's the fastest way I know since it's much more difficult after combing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thenutmeg2000
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010 10:11:43 PM »

I has another question...can we do stuff with the guard hairs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rawna
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010 01:24:43 AM »

Depending on what you are using the llama fiber for, and depending on how much guard hair there is, sometimes you can leave it in and just card/comb it and leave it in.... However, to remove it easiest - lay the blanket out - cut side down, and at each lock, pull gently and the guard hair is easy to pull. Use the guard for ropes or rug - it can be spun and plied over and over to make a rope. Or once spun and knit/crochet or weave a rug. Very durable. Also - unless it is very dirty, try spinning it dirty and then to set the spin and clean it - wash it after being spun - using a liquid dish soap - cuts any oils and dirt - and then hang to dry. Your hands/laps and fingers will get dirty, but it is a lot less time consuming than washing it first. The more guard you pull, the less prickly it will feel once spun. Good luck - it is worth the work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...