A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
156 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vinyl laptop sleeve  (Read 1310 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

noisy_penguin
« on: May 07, 2009 07:07:22 PM »

When I taught myself to knit four or five years ago, the first thing I finished knitting was a light brown ribbed scarf. I gave it to my husband, then made him a matching hat, and then...stopped making things for him. For some reason he's just not interested in purses and tote bags. Whatever dude. A few weeks ago I ordered a smallish amount of closed-cell foam. I've been interested in making a laptop sleeve for myself (my husband gave me a fancy new laptop for Christmas and it's a little snug for my old laptop bag), but I can't figure out all the bells and whistles I want my bag to have. The husband has a bag that he likes, but its pocket is unpadded, so I decided to make one for him as practice.

The husband grew up in Minnesota and loves the Twins. The dark blue and dark red vinyl that I keep on hand is pretty close to the Twins' colors. I briefly considered doing a Twins logo cutout for him on the envelope flap, but as this was a guinea pig sleeve and I wasn't entirely sure it would work out okay. I was afraid I'd spend a lot of time on the cutout and then sleeve wouldn't work and I'd have spent all this time on it and WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH A NON-FUNCTIONING TWINS-THEMED LAPTOP SLEEVE?! So I opted for stripes. He like stripes, so it's okay.

I really like the lining of the sleeve. I got the fabric from Ikea. The half-circles are all different sizes as it goes down. I sewed velcro across the top and down the front of the bag for the closure. Closed-cell foam is thick. I got the 1/4" size and there's NO way my sewing machine will go through it. I ended up sewing most of the bag as I usually would, then stuffing the foam in between the vinyl and lining, and then keeping it in place with a little hand stitching. I used a thimble and still wound up with a blister on my thumb.

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honeythief
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009 04:31:21 AM »

I think it looks fantastic, and I admire your tenacity in sewing such thick material. I would have given up when the sewing machine did rather than attempt hand-sewing. Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Jenny
noisy_penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009 08:49:16 AM »

Thanks! I seriously considered giving up when I realized I wouldn't be able to sew through all the layers, but I had all this stupid foam and I'd promised my husband the sleeve, so I just soldiered on. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alexxxx
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009 10:28:43 AM »

Well done for persevering, you did a really good job.
I hope hubbie appreciates the blood, sweat & hand sewing you put into it Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...