A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
187 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amigurumi  (Read 6747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2005 03:44:15 AM »

Anyone out there have Amigurumi books?  I am trying to see which ones are the best ones to order.  I have found a few bookstores in the states that can order them - in my area they are in New York city and there is one in the chicago area.  I have a friend going to Chicago so I was hoping she could pick them up for me while she is out there. - if they can get them in stock fast enough!  Time is clicking on this one...

For the people that have these Amigurmi books can you suggest which ones you like and/or don't like so that I don't end up ordering a total dud!?  I will probably end up ordering them from somewhere and having them shipped within the states.  I doubt if I will be able to get them ordered in time for my friend to pick them up.

Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
selenium
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005 06:37:19 AM »

I have this one.  I like it a lot, but some of the coolest things in the book don't have patterns in the back.  The patterns that are there, however, are very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuruku
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005 10:54:25 AM »

What is Amigurumi?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005 11:46:36 AM »

Amigurumi - ahhh. my new infatuation - that and making baskets.  Beats me.  I love the 3d of it all I suppose.  In a nutshell - big headed animals and dolls.

The collection 3 is one of the ones I was thinking of getting.  Do you have any others?  You said that there were few patterns in there... I hate asking but which ones are in there?  Do they show things that just aren't in the book?  How frustrating is that???!!!
Is the giraffe in there?  That one looks sooo adorable!

I thought I would be looking for vol 2 especially and maybe the first one.  I have 7 in my wishlist.
I was sooo happy to find some bookstores that actually carry the books or are willing to order them.  I would have been happier to find a copy in the library but we don't have a big enough Japanese population here I suppose.

Oh well.  At least I will find a place that will order them.
Well back to my baskets...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
MisfitRed
scarlet crimson sanguine rose carmine vermillion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005 11:49:09 AM »

A more specific question:  are there any good amigurumi patterns or books out there in English?  I don't know Japanese beyond "arigoto," "sushi," and "Battousai the Manslayer."  I know, so very un-American of me, but I'm a Europhile... lol.  Japanese items have been growing on me, though, particularly textiles and such.  And the amigurumi are so cute! 

Anyway, thanks for any help...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There's no smile of an angel without the wrath of God..."
~HIM, "Heartache Every Moment"
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005 12:55:24 PM »

Some wonderful soul(Miss Cross) had posted up a few links to some amigurumi sites that were Japanese.  I had to install the Asian fonts which was no big deal at all.
At that point, there are free website translators that you can use - as I did and I was able to fully understand what I needed to do.
The Japanese patterns from what I have seen are pretty much written using graphs and charts which are soooooo easy to follow.
I did finish all the parts to my sheep - which I have yet to sew together since I haven't gotten my eyes yet and if I get shank eyes I will need to put them in before I sew it all together...

I don't think you will need to really speak or read Japanese to understand them.
I have given up trying to find free patterns for them online.  I wish I was able to.  The only patterns I was able to locate and translate were the ones that Miss Cross posted (thank you thank you thank you!  Wish I was able to locate things like that online!  I spent two days searching and gave up!)

Everyone here has been pretty helpful - those links being the best help I have come across.  I would love to just borrow one from someone but we dont' personally know anyone who has any of these books.  I have a very far stretch of a possibility of borrowing one from one of my husbands coworkers - that is if indeed his daughter crochets and if she even has any of these books.  He didn't know what type of needlecraft she was doing lately just that she was doing something and does Japanese patterns - am also loving the Chinese knotting right now and am going to hit the local library for that one.  I think macrame is a big section there.  One can only hope!

I would give up just about anything in my collection right now (and boy do I have some really cool stuff here) to browse through one of those books before having to take the blind plunge.
I keep searching in Ebay to see what books who has up so I can write down which ones I might possibly want from looking at the pictures... it is a slow process.  I don't remember which ones I want and which ones I dont' want.

I can tell you that buying them on Ebay is expensive... just as expensive as buying them through Amazon japan.  As soon as I get a good grip on which bookstores will order them and for how much I will let you all know.  I am hoping to know in the next week or two.  I have two different bookstores working on the list.  One in New York and one in Boston.
I will keep you all up on it.

Until then.. making baskets the past few days.  I will post up pics once I get my set done. I only have 4 and I really wanted  a good dozen to do.
They are great.  I am really really pleased with the ones I have turned out already (and yes, writing down the directions to the - the only way to mass produce them for the next craft show that I am going to attemt doing!!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005 02:27:42 PM »

I have found a few more free patterns online that are pretty cute. I will try and make some over the weekend (when I am not making baskets!) and write down translations for everyone.
Hopefully I will get to them this weekend.  The ones I have found are really adorable.  I dont' know what I did to get to these.  But I am glad I pushed a little further.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
selenium
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005 05:43:56 PM »

The collection 3 is one of the ones I was thinking of getting.  Do you have any others?  You said that there were few patterns in there... I hate asking but which ones are in there?  Do they show things that just aren't in the book?  How frustrating is that???!!!
Is the giraffe in there?  That one looks sooo adorable!

Yes, the giraffe is in there.

Actually, there is a pattern for everything on the cover.  It's not that there are too few patterns; it's that they include pictures of things that don't have patterns.  There is a platypus that I plan on figuring out.

I looked at all of the amigurumi books in Kinokuniya and Super Books in Utsunomiya, and this one was by far the best.  The patterns werent just cute teddy bears and kittens; I liked the quirky patterns.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005 05:01:22 PM »

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24756.0

you might be interested in this thread... people are discussing the 'translation' issue and how to order the japanese books, and sites of amigurumi designers... 
amigurumi roughly means needlework stuffed animal. it is the combination of two japanese words for the above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005 04:20:55 AM »

Right.
I appreciate that link to the thread. That is where I got the links for the animals that I do have already - and have made.

I haven't had a problem with the translation.
My question is if anyone has any of these books - which one(s) do they like. Some are better than others.  Would they recommend one over the other... that's all.

Locating the books - I have located where I can order them in the states for a lot less than Ebay or Amazon.jp.  I know the best way is to know someone going over there but Japan is out of my travelling reaches - I have friends that go to the Virgin Islands(great place for pearls and for perfume and liquor) and England and also Sweden but the far east is out of my friend and family travelling.

I think I have my answer - definitely get vol 3 ... it has been recommended.  I guess go with my gut on the other 6 that I have picked out - probably stay with the volumes and not the others although the one named groovy world looks pretty cool as well. Oh I don't know.  I will wing it.

Thank you all for your help - especially selenuim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...