A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 314,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
132 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 392
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Show off your hair! And questions about hair styles!  (Read 757525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

irish_chicky
« Reply #3710 on: February 24, 2007 05:28:32 PM »

hey, I've had dreadlocks for about a year and 4 months now. If you are thinking about getting them there are several different ways to obtain them, but they all take a lot of patience and time.

"Natural" Deadlocks- this method is achieved by only washing your hair and letting it knot up and separate on it's own. This takes the most time and takes the longest time to look "good" (in the eye of the beholder, personally i love the look of naturals) you can pull sections apart if they are getting to big for your liking or can leave it and see what you get.

backcombed dreadlocks- this is how i did mine. you section your hair off into a bunch of ponytail things all over your head, you can make them as think with hair as you want, and either place them randomly or as evenly as you want. Then take a cat/dog flea comb and basically teas your hair and knot it up. I don't suggest using any type of wax on your dreads (though this is a personal choice) I wouldn't recommend it 1. because it gets stuck in your dreads and is impossible to get out 2. it smells funny 3. it looks horrible 4. the wax doesn't help things tighten up, all it is doing is holding things in place (which you don't want) if you were going to use anything i would suggest just using a hair gel, this will easily wash out and wont clog up the dread.
elastic bands with the method is also optional, you can use them on the roots (loosely) if you want after backcombing, but you shouldn't place them on the ends, this hinders the shrinking and natural knotting process.A warning: your backcombed dreads may start to unravel some, if not quite a bit, do not worry, they will eventually knot up and be fine, once again the gel may help with this.
after the initial backcombing is finished palm roll palm roll palm roll, and make sure you wash them at least 2 days after you make them.
When you wash your dreads you wash away oils that are otherwise hindering the locking process by making the strands of hair sleeker, wash only with a residue free shampoo (something with no fragrance or film left over) after washing them and letting them air dry you will find they seem tighter then before.

getting a little off topic here

Then there is the wool rub method- take a piece of pure wool and rub it against your hair, you will notice it starting to knot up, keep doing this until you have a matt of hair and rip it into single dreads.

there are other ways as well, such as a dread perm (not recommended- drys out hair, and locks in icky chemicals) .

for washing your dreads , like stated previously you should use a residue free shampoo and NO CONDITIONER, lather shampoo into scalp and rinse really really well (repeat as wished, i usually wash and rinse 2 times). As the shampoo runs through the dreads it will clean them too. Twist and squeeze your dreads to get as much water out as you can and then leave up in a towel for at least a half hour. then leave dreads down until fully dry, do not tie them up or put into a hat when they are still wet because this increases the chance of mold. while it is air drying you can palm roll them out to get more water out and to help them get tighter.

I hop this answers some of your questions about getting dreads, pm me if you need some help or have other questions!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
greenfish
« Reply #3711 on: February 24, 2007 08:08:58 PM »

I think mullets are underrated. I was thinking of growing one. Go for it.

..because when I called my friends and told them that I got it, they shrieked! When I came home (I live in Philly) they loved it!

that's so funny i live in a suburb of philly!!!! Smiley  thanks for all the support!

I hope you go for it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heathurr
rah, rah replica!

my god, she looked just like me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3712 on: February 24, 2007 08:28:11 PM »

what pink hairdye are you using heathurr? you should try SFX atomic pink. I died my hair using this about 5 months ago, and it's still as bright as the day i did it.
manic panic red passion.  i'm gona try special effects sometime, but at this point i'm pretty sure my hair's just weird.  i've had quite a struggle with getting dye to stay at all. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3713 on: February 24, 2007 08:37:32 PM »

Wakeupdonnie I think you can totally pull of that hairstyle. You are gorgeous and your hair looks like it would cooperate, plus you have a pale enough complexion to pull the look off... you are talking about the color too yes? I think you should just goo for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
nessarose
« Reply #3714 on: February 24, 2007 10:20:29 PM »

wakeupdonny--i agree, you could totally pull this off.  more than that--I think it would be a really good choice.  regardless of color, the cut would look good on you, since you've got big eyes, and that cut will draw all the attention to them.  and you already have those long bangs, so you already know those work on you.

post a pic if you go through with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3715 on: February 24, 2007 10:31:28 PM »

well i decided to go with some blue in my hair again... i have been doing purple in the front bits for a month now and that was getting boring.... i MISS my blue hair... this will certainly suffice for now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L

skinned up knees and salty lips

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3716 on: February 25, 2007 04:45:07 PM »

i def like the blue, it looks good on you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog. read often. comment more.
<A HREF="http://www.apessimistsview.blogspot.com">

you taste so sweet but i cant eat the same thing everyday...
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #3717 on: February 25, 2007 08:10:18 PM »

Went for it. The only reason my mom let me was because I promised I wouldn't dye my hair again.
My naturalish hair color isn't bad, though. It's darker than I remember lol <3

I love it A LOT. My boyfriend said it made me look like a lesbian. hahaha. But he can deal with it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3718 on: February 25, 2007 08:15:22 PM »

i LOVE the new do! you should post a front on pic of before and after!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danyellex
« Reply #3719 on: February 25, 2007 08:46:06 PM »

Ah! I have dyed / bleached my hair WAY too many times, I sweeear it's going to fall out any day now. EW. I can't help it though, it's been practically every color i can possibly imagine.

This is how it looks right now :

But it was my favorite when it was this way:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 392 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...