A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Recommendations for a Cloak  (Read 796 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
FaeoftheRoots
« on: April 28, 2009 09:46:06 PM »

Hi all,
I'm looking to make a heavy cloak that will endure cool (40F) temperatures and possibly getting rained on but keep me warm.  I'm going camping in the Pacific Northwest (of the USA) for a week and expect it will be cold and wet pretty much the whole time.  I think what I want is wool melton, but I've never worked with it and don't have a way to get my hands on it without going online. 

The cloak itself will be an ankle-length full circle oversized hood piece of drama.  Any advice, including online fabric suppliers that you've used before, would be greatly appreciated!  I've made a few skirts and shirts, but this will be bigger and heavier fabric than I've ever used before. 

I'll be merging a few patterns that I've found online to complete the look.  If you have any patterns that you've used and love, let me know!  I'm thinking something similar to this with possible mods: http://www.cloakmaker.com/availpics/cloak1697.html

Thanks,
Lori
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009 09:51:04 PM by LoriH - Reason: clarity » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009 05:35:45 AM »

Heeeeey, I think that's what I used! Wool melton, that is. I know it's wool, it's woven but feels felted, and it was toastie warm for that single Hallowe'en I wore my cape. I bought it at my local fabric shop (Fabricland) although that particular location is pretty huge. All I did was tell the ladies what I wanted and they pointed me right to it.

On construction, mine was unlined, but it was about 12 celcius out, much warmer than the 4 celcius you're expecting out west (well, warmer to a northern ontarian Tongue). I think if you line it with something, that'll increase the insulation factor, even if it's just plain old cotton. Also, mine was a standard a-line cloak, but I think a full-circle cloak will already have an increased insulation factor just from all that folded material surrounding you. And if you expect it to rain like a son of a gun, you may want to look into waxing the cloth (I know the Romans in Britain waxed their cloaks thanks to the research Jack Whyte did for his novels).

For reference, I used Simplicity 5794, view C.

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=5794

Best of luck, and hope you have fun camping! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FaeoftheRoots
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009 08:35:00 AM »

Thanks for the great info, Alexus1325!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's an age-old war. Like the werewolves and the vampires. I think Underworld was actually originally about crocheters and knitters but they thought it would be too controversial so they changed it to vampires and werewolves." - Joss Whedon
elijor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009 12:24:04 PM »

Way back when I was in high school I made something almost exactly like that out of two wool army blankets. Not sure if you like OD (olive drab) green but if you have an army surplus store around you it makes for very inexpensive wool.

SOT - I loved that cloak - everyone laughed at me at first but man did they want to sit by me at those cold friday night football games. At least me and 2 other people could bundle up in that thing. I also had a 45 minute to an hour bus ride to school and on cold winter mornings it was like crawling back in bed - back seat of the bus, bookbag for a pillow - and my warm cloak to cover up in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenwitch
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009 04:35:04 PM »

I like the wool army blanket idea Grin!  Awesome for cold, wet nights.  Even better if you line it with something soft.

I actually think that cloaks are really easy without a pattern if you can draw a 1/4 circle (or wing it with chalk and a piece of string.  The coolest drapey hoods are just half circles.  The deeper you want it, the bigger radius you use.

I just made two last Saturday and finished both in one day.  They didn't need to be lined but they could have been, really easily.

Let me know if you want me to attempt directions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009 09:58:15 PM »

When I went to an SCA event, one person had made a cloak with a cotton/linen outer layer and polar fleece inner layer.  It wasn't officially garb, but they were quite warm.  Maybe make a liner with polar fleece; you could sew it in permanently, or just have it buttoned in to adjust for different types of weather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
FaeoftheRoots
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009 01:28:55 PM »

Interesting discussion!  I ran into a gal at the fabric store yesterday who was wearing a cloak like the one I picture in my head.  She used microfleece with a gorgeous brocade edging.  Easy to work with, no need to line (I'm allergic to wool, so I would have had to line mine), and a lot cheaper than wool too.  Plus, since this is a witch-y event, I don't have to worry about not having official time frame garb, though not being flammable would be helpful.  Grin

I'm really liking smudgycat's suggestion for the cotton/linen outer and fleece inner. 

And ravenwitch, I'm glad to hear your experience with the 1/4 circle.  I've made a skirt that way and never thought to transfer it over to cloak design!

Elijor - a couple of friends are wanting to do cloaks too, I'll definitely pass along the Army blanket idea as I think they'll be stoked on it!

Thank you all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...