A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 321,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would really appreciate someone looking at this with fresh sight.  (Read 1622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

seampoints
« on: March 29, 2005 02:03:10 PM »

I'm currently doing a college art project that I have reached a massive block with, and I'm really hoping someone out there can help me...

I'm a student blacksmith collecting a large volume of research on a topic I've chosen in order to design a product in forged steel. I'm not worried about the designing but I need help with my research.

The topic I've chosen is surface desecration, with a focus on removing, destroying or penetrating surfaces. Research I've done in this area has been broad and I now want to look in detail at grating... as in (but not limited to, if you can think of anything else that will grate) cheese graters.

I've grated and examined clay. I've drawn gratings and patterns made on surfaces that have been grated. I've experimented with grating different textures. I've drawn numerous graters and short of this, I can't really see at all where I'm now going. Everything has become very literal...

I'm hoping some bright spark will be able to open this back up for me, and help recover me from the stupid box like thinking I've got myself stuck in... (Or at least tell me theres no where left to go and to make my subject of research wider)

I would really appreciate some reply to this. Dug a massive hole...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005 02:06:08 PM »

How about grating other things and seeing what the mixture does for you? lemons/limes, sponges, meat, etc. There could be some textural interest with the different items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
seampoints
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005 02:10:01 PM »

Ahh, like mixing up all different sorts of gratings? I'll try this one tomorrow, definately. I'd try just about anything right now to be honest... Thanks loads for replying. Keep them coming, keep them coming...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005 02:16:31 PM »

In my art class we had to bring in an object at the first of the semester that we were required to work with all year. I brought an eyelash curler.

If you haven't already, try perspective stuff from up inside the grater . . .

Put it over a light bulb and turn the lights off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005 02:17:12 PM »

Ack wait a minute . . . that probably wasn't so helpful since it's not an art project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
seampoints
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005 02:18:14 AM »

No no, I can definately do something with that. In fact, thats probably better than the first suggestion you gave me. It is an art project.

Your being so helpful, this is good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hercuteness
wonderfulonium

Give me a week or two to go absolutely cuckoo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005 01:44:39 PM »

i was thinking, what about fingers, knuckles, hands? 

i mean, someone had to fahion the grater, somebody stamped the grater out of a larger piece of metal (which is a penetrating.destructive process, too). . .

i USE the grater and know what it does and STILL i manage to grate my fingernails, knuckles, etc. when i'm using it or cleaning it.

the grater without an operator does not grate anything.  that migh tbe a way to work other tangents into the concept.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You got no fear of the underdog. . .that's why you will not survive!

PHOTOGRAPHY - It's what I do, and I'm pretty darn good.
http://www.fulltiltphotography.com/

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1261437978

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/nadiacaffesse
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005 10:03:18 PM »

How about grating unusual objects?  Like a steel grater grating softer metals (copper, aluminum), rocks, wood, plastic, books, a tv, or even another grater?  That might give you a new direction to go with.  Hand powered vs. Technology.  Kitchen (Woman's domain) vs. ......Garages (powertools, lawnmower, Man's domain).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005 09:31:53 AM »

Other items like rasps, files and riffles also metal scribes, engravers, steel wool even.  Mark your surface with every rough or sharp item you can lay your hands on and do a study and comparison.  Perhaps a collage of the surface, the tool used embedded in the shavings or filings obtained with that particular tool!  Kind of rambling and disjointed but hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...