A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reusable Sandwich Mat  (Read 5024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010 07:53:36 PM »

However, PUL is NOT food safe, so please find something else to line it with. Oil cloth is also not food safe, and I guess nylon isn't either (the nylon food bags I've seen are usually coated with some food safe plastic).
Just my two cents: There is alot of debate out there about whether PUL is food safe. It seems pretty even on both sides. True, the FDA says it's not, but then again, these same groups also touted for years how reusable and disposable plastic bottles are safe (BPA?) - which has now been refuted again that it's only harmful when heated, and that heating saran wrap was ok, then not, then only if it's not touching your food.  You really have to read all the opinions and studies about it (I'm a scientist, so I accessed my online journal database before buying PUL and read up on it.). Once you've done that, it's really up to you to make your own decision about using PUL with food. After my research, I saw no difference between the PUL I used, the PUL used in commercial products, and the cheap, disposable plastics I already use on a daily basis. My sandwiches are cold and kept cold, so I felt the chance of plastics seepage was very tiny. I also research commercial vinyls that are available and felt they were less safe than PUL. So, I made the decision to use PUL for my wraps. However, this is up to the individual who is making the wraps. I really think any fabric would work - it's all about the water-proofness level that you are going for. Here's the gist of what I'm saying: Use what you feel comfortable using and enjoy your reusable wrap!

That's awesome. <3 How do you keep your sandwich from drying out before lunchtime though?
My sandwiches never get dried out - they're pretty well sealed in inside the wraps. I also keep them in the fridge, so that helps as well.

i was just wondering where you find cute pul prints. i have searched online and can only find plain pul?
http://www.acutabovefabrics.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=PUL&Sub=12&isThumbs=Yes&Thumbs=100

Thanks guys for all the compliments! These are working really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...