A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
223 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dear Dani Dress - She Cries Because the World is So Beautiful  (Read 6050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: April 18, 2009 08:54:06 PM »

she said she cried at least once each day... not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful and life was so short...

that blurb and my dear friend dani inspired this dress

it is made from an old vintage nude slip, lace, victorian nightgowns, and hand crocheted doilies (not by me though Wink )

I altered the shape of the slip itself before beginning... made it lower in the back and made it just the cups.

I then added lace over the cups, tried it on and discovered there was way too much side boobage, even for me... so I added lace trim around the side of the cups.

the front panel is from a victorian nightgown (as is all the off white fabric)... the edges are left unfinished as is my style...

the side panels are made out of a vintage lace curtain.

It's the 2nd piece of my "clothing line," I created this piece today, you can find the other piece in this thread as well "Victorian Corpse Dress"

It took me awhile, but I finally created it... I've been a bit distracted... I decided it would be a cool idea if on Facebook I posted a note offering to make something for the first five people that responded... in turn they should do the same (write a note with the same blurb)... well, I never expected to have people respond so quickly. I wrote it at around midnight and not even an hour later all the slots were taken... and twenty minutes later one more person wanted in... So I've been busy dealing with the repercussions of my brilliant idea, 2 swaps, a periodic table quilt,  and had not gotten to this.

BTW: I wonder if anyone has seen my note make it to them... I  imagine it would travel rather quickly... hmmm....

anyway:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009 09:30:04 PM by FadingHippie - Reason: glaring typo that was bothering me. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Kat
Radmom
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009 08:59:14 PM »

Soooo pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdollpirate
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009 09:26:20 PM »

I really like this and the other dress as well. I love the way that you use lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
cute_anarchy
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009 09:50:52 PM »

Beautiful!  I love the bustle-y effect you get in the back and the use of lace in it.  I also love the sentiment of the quote (and your cool facebook idea).  I'll be watching for your stuff, I think you've got a great theme going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
whiteiris717
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009 10:16:38 PM »

I did see the note floating around Facebook...and also on blogs.  In fact, it even got onto mine, lol.

Very cool dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maraleopard
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009 11:54:10 PM »

Awesome dress! I love all the lace. Keep it up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blogfacebook + twitter

it is better to destroy, than to create what is meaningless.
sorbetsurprise
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009 03:35:12 AM »

That's really lovely!  I think you should expect more tears when you give to to her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phlegethon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009 06:24:16 AM »

Oh, beautiful!

And you will be happy to know that your facebook note made the rounds of Marlboro College, except some people, myself included, altered it to be everyone who responded. Because we apparently are bad judges of ow much schoolwork we have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every angel is terrible.

wists
ravelry
FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009 10:41:55 AM »

Quote from: phlegethon
And you will be happy to know that your facebook note made the rounds of Marlboro College, except some people, myself included, altered it to be everyone who responded. Because we apparently are bad judges of ow much schoolwork we have.

Hahaha... yeah making stuff for everyone that responded would be tiresome... I drew the line at 6 after saying 5... and I'm still suffering...

My friend Caitlan has been hinting at a Tetris quilt for so long... She's one of the two people I have left... I may wind up making her those Tetris Magnets I saw on here instead... they're pretty beast and quite possibly better than a quilt, because you can actually move the pieces around.

The other person is getting a Lorax bag...

oh and thanks everyone for the kind comments =)
She hasn't seen it in person, but she keeps telling me how gorgeous it is though, based on the pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Kat
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009 02:02:51 PM »

Yes, the note has made it around! It made it to livejournal, where my friend Danni (What a cawinkydink!) and I have done it, and I too am making things for 5 people now. Heheheh neat to know where it came from.

But anywho, on to your project. I love it! I love the rough edges and the texture that it creates. It is romantic and fun at the same time. Love your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...