A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pink polka dot polyester: a recon ten years in the making  (Read 1361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MissJessica
« on: April 16, 2009 04:47:27 PM »

So, my mom had this really cool shirt, only it wasn't so cool yet. It had elastic wrists and a way too high elastic waistband. It also had long saggy sleeves. But I knew it had the potential to be something more along the lines of this:

Now, even though I had the vision when I stole it from my mom's closet when I was in high school, I did not yet have the skills to make it happen. I cut the seams and even pinned the new armholes down, but I just could not sew the material. It kept bunching, tearing, twisting, and basically ruining my life. But I could not give up on the cool pink polka dots. I tried several attempts over the years, but kept bungling it and getting more frustrated. So it went into my "to finish" pile and remained dormant. Until now.

I am proud of my younger self for believing that one day I would have the skills necessary to complete this project. And now I do! Figuring out the whole ball point needle for knits was crucial. When I happened upon this shirt with the pins still in it from all those years ago I swooned with nostalgia.

This shirt was handmade to start with, and when I cut it open it still had notches from the original seamstress/seamster(?). That was pretty cool. Handmade rules! I have no idea who made it; my mom doesn't sew and it didn't look like my grandma's style.

I used the long sleeves to make a new waistband. I wish it were a liiiiiittle bit bigger (or that I was a little bit smaller Smiley so it would sit lower on my hips.

Here are a few ways to wear the neck, or, me being silly:

Today I wore it over the long sleeve pink tee, but pretty soon I hope to be rocking it like this:

Word. Thanks for looking, and to all the new sewers out there: don't stop believing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katherine83
Crafter-ific!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009 07:08:35 PM »

Word. Thanks for looking, and to all the new sewers out there: don't stop believing.

Lol, yesssss! Great recon too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ain't here to break it...
just see how far it will bend.
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009 08:01:52 PM »

heh love the collar pics XD and yes knits are deadly, I have yet to buy a ball-point needle >__<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
eleniel
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009 11:55:37 AM »

Aw, what an inspiring story! (Not being sarcastic, either, lol.)  And what a great result.  It's adorable! Well done and rock on =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...