A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
142 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tie dye with Sharpies  (Read 6649 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
aethelberga
« on: April 14, 2009 04:19:51 PM »

I saw someone on the dollmaking forum had used fabric tie dyed with Sharpies. I had never heard of that before but decided to have a go.
I tied the t-shirt with rubber bands, like with normal tie dying.
First I did the back:

I overdid it on the alcohol which made it bleed too much, though I still kind of like it.
Having looked at the back, I then did the front:

I was a little more sparing with the alcohol and it turned out much better.
Sadly the t-shirt doesn't fit me, but you can't have everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009 05:06:21 PM »

Sadly the t-shirt doesn't fit me, but you can't have everything.

Sure you can! Next step is to revamp the tee to fit you. Plenty of examples on Crafster. I'd cut off the whole top under the armholes, cut slits for a sleeveless boat-neck tee, and tack the top corners together.

BTW, what kind of alchohol were you drinking? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
craftyhsmom
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009 07:26:07 PM »

Wonderful idea!  Now that is a tie die that I could do with my kids!  Is there a tute somewhere or can you make one.  It seems real easy I could probably guess my way through it but....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009 09:50:39 AM »

I think there's something on Instructables, but mostly I just wrapped it, then coloured it in fairly heavily with the markers. Then I used a q-tip to drip rubbing alcohol on it. The back I did too much alcohol and the front maybe a bit too little, but I did it while sitting on the sofa so it is not messy at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mimi055
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009 04:40:45 AM »

Fantastic idea.  I check Instructables and there is an excellent tute on there, step by step with good pictures!!!  Great job btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mAsQuErAdInG aS A nOrMaL pErSoN eVeRyDaY iS eXhAuStInG!!!
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009 08:47:20 AM »

This is a neat idea- I'm going to have to experiment with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
DancinInTheDark
Music Junkie, lightning watcher, book lover. :)

I love all things crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009 12:43:41 PM »

I think there's something on Instructables, but mostly I just wrapped it, then coloured it in fairly heavily with the markers. Then I used a q-tip to drip rubbing alcohol on it. The back I did too much alcohol and the front maybe a bit too little, but I did it while sitting on the sofa so it is not messy at all.

I've done that quite a few times and my markers don't work too well anymore. I got them last summer and have only made 4 projects, and they're..dead.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. -Led Zeppelin
casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009 06:32:36 AM »

Cool! I have lots of Sharpies - now I need to find stuff to tie-dye....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimD
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009 06:55:06 PM »

Isn't this the neatest idea.  My 9 yr old daughter went to a girl scout encampment this past weekend and tye-dyed with Sharpies.  I had never heard of it before.  But they did it a little different they rubberbanded plastic cups inbetween the shirts and made designs, wrote stuff, whatever then they used an eye dropper to put the acohol on.  They did give us instructions with the shirt to iron or put thru hot dryer to set it. Also to wash alone the first time.  I will have to see if I can get one more picture tomorrow on my dying batteries for the camera, just to give another view of one of these shirts.  We showed her brothers and sister and they all want to make one now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aethelberga
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009 06:04:58 PM »

I saw the tute with the plastic cups, but I decided to try the normal way first as I wanted an all over design. I ironed it to set it but I washed it with other stuff and I had no problem with the colour running.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dryer Sheets
August 14, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Patchwork Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...