A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
237 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: non-cheesy scrapbooks  (Read 14666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

dicharry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003 06:07:37 PM »

i love the idea of clear pockets - i would really it rather look like a sample of work than a baby book or something.  cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisychain
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003 08:23:36 PM »

i have all this stuff that i save, movie stubs, random pictures, programs, cards, and art from my elementary school students, and i'm sick of them just being in a bunch of boxes

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but if you save movie ticket stubs, you might want to jot down what movie it was. (What do they call that? Journaling?) I can't read a lot of the stubs that I have from several years ago now, so I'm lucky to have notes about what the movie was (and who I saw it with) next to the ticket. Seems dumb to have a ticket stub "memory" but not be able to remember what the movie was!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003 08:24:28 PM by daisychain » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dicharry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003 02:39:05 PM »

i completely agree - the other night i saw "A Woman is a Woman" and it was called WOMAN on the ticket stub; lots of goofy abbreviations.  i got one for something where they put the wrong movie in the computer and now i have this stub for this movie that i haven't seen but i'm not going to be anal about it.

cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carrievision

I'm walkin' on sushi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2004 08:56:37 PM »

To stand up for the "cheesy" scrapbooking supplies - you know they'll be archival for your book.  I just went to Michaels and got a whole bunch of plain cardstock and some subtly patterned papers for 50% off - yahoo!  You might also want to check the scrapbooking section for archival pens that won't run, fade, or otherwise ruin your goods if you plan to journal your scrapbook - they come in a lot of fun colors and types (ball point, markers, etc).  

Also, you can use a regular 'ol Elmers glue stick.  I usually use the glue stick for gluing papers down, and then photo squares to apply the photographs/souvenirs.  The photo squares I use stick right to the back of the photo like tape, so you can cut your stuff into funky shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhumy
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004 08:30:32 AM »

though this book may seem cheesy, it is surprisingly not.  No need to go out and buy it--just flip through it at your local super-mega bookstore chain.  There are projects with instructions throughout, but the best parts of the book are the galleries at the end of each chapter.  Some of the journals are amazing--they make my notebook I keep my journal in look pretty lame.  check it out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1564966763/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-3346016-6761600#reader-link

the book is called "Making Journals by Hand"

« Last Edit: January 25, 2004 08:33:45 AM by rhumy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004 06:48:21 PM »

What I do when I have newspaper clippings and ticket stubs to scrapbook is scan them into my computer and  then print them back out on acid-free paper.  That way I don't worry about whether it is going to damage stuff or degrade.  If I'm really attached to the item, I'll laminate it and put it in a pocket somewhere inside the scrapbook.

To keep cheesy to the min, keep it simple.  It gets over the top when you have more focus on the paper you've used than the photos or items on the page.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004 06:36:54 AM »

I made a scrapbook for my dad (always find gifts for males a bit of a challenge  Roll Eyes) : the covers were two old license plates (kinda rusty, grungy lookin'), inside I used the three-ring part from a binder, and I bought a cheapo photo album from a dollar store (the kind with the plastic envelope pages). I joined the license plates with a piece of extra scrap metal and the three-ring binder thingie using rivets, popped in the photo envelope pages and voila! a scrapbooking/photo-paging album! My dad loved it! I put a bunch of stuff in it: little stories that I could remember (stuff that happened when I was a kid), stories that I got from relatives (stuff that happened when they were growing up with my dad,  "most embarrassing moments" from his co-workers...that kind of thing) and of course, scans of some old photos. It worked out really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004 09:01:02 AM »

I love to scrapbook!! But I do feel like a total geek due to the amount of super cutsey stuff that is out there. I struggle to make my cool, without the super cheese. You may want to
try to find a scrapbooking store. It has become a huge hobby & I lots of specific stores have sprung up all over the place. While these places usually over charge for simple materials, you can get valuable advice from the workers. Also, you can get way cooler papers. There are some really amazing "non-cheesy" papers- I am addicted to paper!!
Also, go to a book store & check out the magazine "Simple Scrapbooks". It gives lots of good ideas, some are cutsey, but it is easy to interpret them the way you want. It really gives you good ideas on lay-outs & materials for things like memoriblia as well as pictures. It also has a listing of stores in the back.
The best book I made was terribly simple a & turned out really cool. I made it for my boyfriend for our anniversary. It was a small book with all black pages. I wanted to do a whole reasons I love you theme. I found a bunch of pictures to go with my ideas. I bought some cool papers, and just cut them into irregular shapes of all types. I layed them out in interesting ways with the pictures & glued 'em down. Then I wrote my little reasons on vellum and hand ripped those out, and attached. It turned out beautiful & not very cheesy. I knew it was good cuz I made him cry. He said it was my best scrapbook ever!
As for glue, I love glue dots cuz they're so easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
BellaKarma

What Goes Around-Comes Around-So Make it Beautiful

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004 01:10:54 AM »

I am still on the fence in regard to scrapbooking (I like "scrapping"...kudos to who wrote that)..but I do like the 7 Gypsies paper.

For paper...and inspiration..check out:

www.7gypsies.com

I am still taking a look at their website...but so far so good...plus we do have some of their paper here at home...and it's very cool and uncheesy.  Grin

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stix on the Beach: Tales From The Happiest Hooker!
www.bellakarma.com
FireRaven

Book artist lookin' for kindred spirits

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004 06:42:40 PM »

i want to make some kind of scrapbook that is not cheesy and expensive and covered in those weird stickers - what's the best adhesive to use for this kind of thing?  anybody have any brilliant ideas?

I just got "into" scrapbooking recently...always hated it because the embellishments were too cutesy, and I always associated it with "kids & parents" sort of memories.

Building a house (or, having one built) for the first time changed that. I documented everything I could from the color of the dirt to the slope of the roof! And yeah...I looked back at those scrapbook stores. Things have changed. The altered book influence (and book arts in general) is clearly seen today. Some of the embellishments are pretty funky...especially some of the metal accents, fibers, and artsy stamps.

The main thing to remember is "acid-free"..."lignin free" too if the product is paper-based. As for adhesives, it depends on what you're doing. I use double-stick tape or other dry adhesives as often as possible...it keeps the pages from buckling. I also make my own albums (I'm a book binder), and I make sure to include spine fatteners so the fore edge of the book doesn't splay open if I have a spread with lots of layers or other "stuff" in/on it. These are easy to include if it's a post & screw album. If it's sewn, I've cut pages out here and there so that as layers build on a page, they have a little extra room.

A great book is "The Decorated Page." It is geared more for visual journals, but also includes photos and tips for scrapbooks. It helped me turn some of my pages into artsy, collaged pieces.

Hope some of this helps,
-FireRaven
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...