A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: non-cheesy scrapbooks  (Read 14665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

dicharry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2003 09:21:49 AM »

i have all this stuff that i save, movie stubs, random pictures, programs, cards, and art from my elementary school students, and i'm sick of them just being in a bunch of boxes - i want to make some kind of scrapbook that is not cheesy and expensive and covered in those weird stickers - what's the best adhesive to use for this kind of thing?  anybody have any brilliant ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003 12:46:40 PM »

This is a great idea.  I've never done a scrapbook but I run into info about scrapbooking all the time on the web when I've hunting for interesting paper craft materials.

I believe that the paper and adhesives (tape, glue, etc) that you use have to be specially marked as "acid-free" or you can experience yellowing and degradation of your momentos.

If I was gonna do this (and hopefully one day I will have the time) I'd buy a very plain, inexpensive, scrapbook and cover it in funky fabric or paper.

As far as the pages inside the book go, I've seen black pages which I think are cool looking.  I don't know if all scrapbooks are expandable, but I think that that is key.  I've seen ones that are like 3-ring binders and ones that have screw-posts.

Some of the accoutrements of scrapbooking are dork-riffic.  But some are just fine or are available in non-dorky styles.  Like photo corners for example can come in these ornate victorian styles OR you can get plain, clear versions.

It depends on what your style is but I bet that embellishingthe pages with faux fur trim, camouflage ribbon, small metal studs, etc could spice things up.

ooooh. now I wanna make one!

Here's some links I just added for where to buy scrapbooking materials:
https://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=28;action=display;threadid=302
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003 12:51:28 PM by the craftster admin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
dicharry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003 04:05:29 PM »

righteous suggestions, admin!!!  you are getting me excited about making a scrapbook - i guess part of me is insecure because i don't want to be one of those dorky scrapbookers, i want to be a cool scrapbooker.  i think black pages look good too - when i finally get it together i will post pictures.  cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003 06:19:43 AM »

I started scrapping (what I call it, so it sounds cooler than it really is) in college with the hopes that I would be able to document all my memories without getting behind.  I have my shoeboxes of photos in chronological order but some after graduating I dropped the ball and I'm stuck in 2000  Undecided

Anyway, I went with a plain paper reflections spiral bound 8.5x11 because they seem like they're classic enough that as I need to add books, they would still be available.  plus, I liked the size and with one filled it isn't as heavy and bulky as what I imagine some 12x12 albums would be.

The problem with any of the books is that as you add to each page the book becomes thicker (even if you aren't adding 3D embellishments like charms and eyelets) and doesn't lie flat so it looks like < and with the refillable albums I wondered how much more you could really add without the book straining to stay shut!  

My mom and sister gave me some punches and scissors as a gift, but I get paper and some other stuff at the office stores and skip looking in the scrapbooking aisle or stores since it really isn't my style.

Good luck with your books!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003 06:13:34 AM by udandi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003 08:45:05 PM »

Here's the lazy way:
How about "binding" manila mailing envelopes (stuffed with your memorobilia) together with jumprings and decorating the envelopes creatively.  That way, you can just reach into the category that you are really interested in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
Stacie
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003 04:52:44 PM »

Acid-Free Ahesive has been mentioned, but you should also be pretty highly concerned with acid-free PAPER.  I've found it difficult (though not impossibe!) to find acid-free paper in black and other colors.  The paper will:
- burn the objects that are on it/around it (you know when you find newspaper clippings in books and they've left a mark?  that's what I'm talking about)
- get brittle and crack, even moreso with objects adhered to it.

When adhering things, you should also keep in mind that ANY moisture introduced to the paper will loosen the fibers and cause cockling, which will also add to the book not being able to close.  Photo corners are tiny enough, but a lot of them could cause problems.  Double-stick adhesive (which is available archival) is probably your best bet.

The simplest way to assure that the book will be able to close is to get something WAY TOO BIG, and tear out pages - like creating "tabbed" pages in order to compensate for the added bulk in photo albums.  You could even create those tabs by cutting those sheets out about one inch from the gutter of the book.  Also, a thicker "carrier" paper is gonna be your best bet.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunCrush

I love the 80's!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003 03:12:25 PM »

I'm making a scrapbook for when my parents come up to New Jersey, to remember all the sights we see.  Cause I might be moving back to Florida here soon.  Would be nice to have one to look back on.  I have made one for another hobby i use to do.  I bought a bunch of  Las Vegas stickers and cut outs.. I plan on going there in the spring/summer time.  Best of luck with the books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry Cola

Do crafts not drugs!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003 06:58:49 PM »

I've made a couple of pages so far, after hoarding many materials. I'm planning on making a scrapbook for my brother, regarding his hockey. I have saved newspaper clippings, game programs, ticket stubs, etc. and I'm getting really excited to start the book. I'm thinking of giving it to him for Christmas, if I have enough pages done by then, and I can continue to add to it throughout the year.

Here is an amazing site for scrapbooking inspiration:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/

I like to look around in the gallery (loads of examples).

Good luck with your scrapping everyone  Grin
- Cherry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask him if he likes fondue and macram.
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003 08:08:56 PM »

Acid-Free Ahesive has been mentioned, but you should also be pretty highly concerned with acid-free PAPER.  I've found it difficult (though not impossibe!) to find acid-free paper in black and other colors.  

It is the color/dye that is acidic. To way avoid the paper burn with non-acid-free paper is to use acid free paper in between the image you want to mount and the page. I used to do picture framing and that is how we would handle the acid free issue. Most craft/art stores have fine art papers that are acid free. Hobby Lobby carries an all cotton rag mat board that is only as thick as poster board.  

the image sandwhich shoud go like this:

image you love
acid free paper
bad acid-full paper

Use mounting corners around the whole sandwhich.

Does that make sense.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003 05:08:33 PM »

I'd say try a plain scrapbook for something classy/non-cheesy, and clear pockets for stuff you need to see both sides of that can be hole punched and added in.

I make books and love PVA glue.  Its a little pricey but it dries clear, flat, and doens't yellow.  

fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...