A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
147 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My WEEKENDER  (Read 3577 times)
Tags for this thread: weekender_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

clkingtx
« on: April 11, 2009 01:31:44 PM »

I am almost done with my weekender, and had to post a picture, since this site was such a motivation to getting it done.  I just have to do the false bottom, I am going to put snaps for the front and back pockets, then sew in the lining.  I am not using feet, since I can't find any.  I might use some large snaps, instead.  I used some clearance fabric from Walmart(not home deco weight), heavy weight interfacing, and premade piping.  I told my husband we would have to take a trip so I can use it!  I think using the thinner material made it way easier to make, as I started cutting it out one day, and could have had it finished completely the next, and with only one broken needle(it needed to be replaced anyway), and no blood spilt(yet).  I am having to improvise with the reinforcement for the bottom, and for the purse feet, so I may not get it completely finished for a couple of days.  Thanks for looking!
Sorry, I am too new to post a picture in here,
How do I add a link to a picture here in the gallery?

Thanks

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009 06:22:28 PM by clkingtx » THIS ROCKS   Logged
clkingtx
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009 01:43:34 PM »

I am trying to find the best way to put the pictures in the post, or the links.  Sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
empath
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009 02:47:34 PM »

I'm new to Craftster too, but I found this link about adding a photo. Hope it helps  Smiley

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=228301.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clkingtx
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009 06:23:42 PM »

Got it, thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendyloo
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009 09:04:47 PM »

Your bag looks great. Really well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Honeythief
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009 12:54:10 AM »

Nice work! It looks like you've done a really neat job so far. I am always impressed by anybody who is willing to tackle this pattern - from all I've heard about it, it's hard on both machine and machinist!

The only time I've made a bag that was meant to have feet, I couldn't find any so I used brads (split pins) instead. They don't give much clearance off the ground, but they're easily available in many office stationery cupboards and they did the job for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Jenny
clkingtx
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009 02:40:23 PM »

Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks for the advice about the brads, I ended up having to use large snaps instead.  I just used the top part, and they seem to work fine.  I also used some on the handles, to secure them at the top.  It adds a nice decorative touch, I think(maybe that will draw the eye away from the supporting stitching, lol).  I also made the handles a little longer, I think.  Here are a couple more pictures, finished, showing the snaps I used.  It's not perfect, but it's good enough for me!  I am planning on making another soon for my daughter for our next vacation!  Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
empath
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009 03:42:32 PM »

Your weekender looks absolutely wonderful.  So glad to see the pics  Smiley  Very, very nice! What a great idea to use the snaps the way you did. They really add a nice finish to the bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009 11:39:44 AM »

What an ingenius way to make purse feet! The snaps make the strap look fancier too, I'm shopping around for rivets to get the same look.

Glad you finished this bag without bloodshed! I have yet to try it (thought I've had the pattern for almost a year) but I'm sure it will be a pain. You said it was probably easier becuase you used thinner fabric, is it just quilting weight cotton? Do you find the bag still holds up well? I know there are several layers of interfacing so I figured it would still retain some sturdiness.

Also for the purse feet, I've never seen them in stores but there are a lot of great online suppliers. I use www.umei.com and Ah Kwok Supplies on ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
clkingtx
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009 01:07:25 PM »

Thanks, cool that you are going to try rivets for the straps.  I look forward to seeing that, bet it looks really good!  It is about the thickness of quilting cotton, maybe just a tad thicker, but seems like it is a blend, has a bit of shine to it, a little slickness, if that makes any sense.  Sort of like the material that my cloth shower curtains are made of, if that helps.  I got it at Walmart in the clearance bin for 1.50 a yard, and didn't think to notice the kind of material it was.  I think the bag will probably hold up very well.  It holds its shape when empty, I used fusible heavy weight interfacing on each piece, so it made it pretty sturdy.  I won't find out how it will hold up to being used until vacation time, though.  I couldn't get my husband to understand why we need to take a weekend away to test out my new bag, lol!

Thanks for the link, and info for purse supplies.  I will look into that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...