A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
145 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Google ads moved to new annoying location  (Read 6051 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
SpottedFrog
« on: April 05, 2009 08:18:07 PM »

I have noticed that the little Google ads that used to sit politely at the bottom of any forum thread I was reading have jumped up to just under the top post, even on multiple page threads this happens. That is really %$#%ing annoying.

I understand that it costs money to run a website, but the ads are taking over.
Right now I'm looking at three different ads for the same place, all dominating the page making any cool stuff people made fade into the background. It makes me come here less.

I want the old days of Craftster back when there wasn't 2/3 of ever page covered with completely unrelated advertising.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009 08:36:12 PM »

There are so many crappy ads on Craftster now, that it is almost impossible to ignore them.  It's definitely annoying.  And getting less and less fun to come here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

47/50 done
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009 08:38:29 PM »

I could be mistaken, but I think the Ads by Google have been under the first post of each page for a very long time now.  I'll check with the team to verify, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009 08:46:41 PM »

Ah, yes.  They have been in place since at least 06/09/2007.

Unless there is something new I'm not seeing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009 09:00:42 PM »

I think it's because there are so many ads on the page now, that we are seeing them more.  Google ads are under the first post and down the side of the page, and even sometimes they seem to appear at the top of the page. 

I'm just glad I'm not seeing classmates anymore.  Or have I just gotten used to it and don't see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

47/50 done
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009 05:28:12 AM »

Ah, yes.  They have been in place since at least 06/09/2007.

Unless there is something new I'm not seeing.

I know the Google ads have been on Craftster that long, but I do not think they have been under the first post that long. If so that should be a big red flag as to how much of a turn off it is. Really, instead of telling me how wrong I am maybe you should be thinking about what I said is the effect on me from all the ads on this site. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way I just took the time to tell you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009 05:35:21 AM »

Yes, they have been under the first post for that long.  My point is, if they have been there for this long and you have just now noticed them, maybe they are not so annoying and obvious after all.

And yes, we have been told that some people do not appreciate the ads.  It's not like we do not realize this and we haven't spent many, many hours discussing it as well as trying to find other ways to make income, though.  That being said, no one has taken the time to tell us another effective method in which we can raise money to run the site.  We're definitely open to ideas and suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009 05:50:27 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Typo! Eep! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Black_Sheep09
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009 06:09:07 AM »

Hey everyone!  My first post weeeee (been trolling for some time).  I do agree that ads can be a bit annoying, but coming from other sites of this nature, at least these all appear to be pretty relevant to crafting.  A website with so much graphics, membership (almost 175,000, go Craftster!), and so much traffic has to take a considerable amount of hardware to run.  I'm sure none of that hardware or bandwidth is very cheap.

Just an idea to the mods though...perhaps we could stop the ads and just run the whole website on love?  Yeah, I'm sure you would have to downgrade the equipment, but if we were all running on love, whats it matter if we have to wait a few minutes between pages, right?

Joking aside, I really do appreciate this site.  The ads are far less annoying than many places I go (I have yet to see a punch the monkey flash up) and the fact that a site with so much information is not a private "pay-to-view" site is very much appreciated.  I did see your Friends of Craftster information when I just signed up, and I'll be filling that out soon.  I'm sure if more of us used that, the need for ads would be much less, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only through each other, can we find ourselves.
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009 06:23:34 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, Blacksheep.  Yes, becoming an FOC definitely does help.

If it could run on love, we'd be all set! Cheesy  I gotta lot of love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009 06:45:48 AM »

i am a girl who will wait till 30 minutes in to her FAVORITE show to avoid commercials..but not because i hate advertising

on the contrary, i love it...i love the many purposes it serves, that it helps people find things, sell things and run thing

the ads dont bother me at all. i used to be on for HOURS and hours everyday....then things got all wonky in 2008...but i am back to visiting as often as i can, more and more as the days go on (i dont find enough to post about, but thats cos i am in a weird place creatively)...basically, i love the ads, they make craftster possible, and with that, all things are possible (in my world)

*ah yes, why do i hate commercials..they are repetitive, loud and lack creativity in almost every facet of the word.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...