A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 321,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vintage mugs revamped (ceramics n00b)  (Read 5323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 25, 2009 08:26:11 PM »

Hello! I've never posted here before. I'm usually over in knitting or more art, less craft.

Anyway, I've picked up a new hobby since I've had to take time off from my life of running due to an injury that resulted from running on an injury that I had after running a marathon (dumb, but running IS my life).

I've been pining over some of the things that I've seen on this board for a while (the monster plates.. drool). UNFORTUNATELY I don't have an IKEA anywhere near me (Hi, I live in Iowa... we have...corn?), so I've decided to play with some of my random ceramics I've got lying around most of which are vintage from my parents. I think I might hit up some antique stores too. I haven't decided if I should destroy my own set of dishes yet... maybe.  I don't like the pattern on them though.  I'll have to come up with something cool before I do it. Maybe a concept before I just go to town.

Anyway, I've compiled these into a lovely organized document (what the heck else would I do..I'm the Martha Stewart of design as some have told me!).  I *SEVERELY* need to get batteries for my good camera...but I'm lazy just ask the clock in my living room. It is officially 6 hours behind b/c the battery is about dead. 

Here be my creations. Hopefully you can see them in the crappy pictures I've taken. 

These are some vintage mugs from my parents. I got these when I moved out. We used to color Easter eggs in these so some of them are stained pretty badly on the inside so I thought they were perfect for experimenting. Smiley

Here's some more...cheap ceramic stuff. More perfect for experimenting. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009 03:00:07 PM by kittykill - Reason: To comply with Craftster's guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

weird_lover_wilde
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009 08:29:33 PM »

I so badly want to do this!  But when I went to the craft store, the lady there said that she didn't know which paints would end up being non-toxic on ceramic after cooking.  Not wanting to take any chances, I didn't end up getting them.

What do you use?  Is there a specific brand?  Can you eat off of 'em?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009 08:33:32 PM »

I used Pebeo Porcelaine markers and paint. It was damn near impossible to find. As far as I know you can eat off them b/c everybody I've seen do this type of thing has used these markers. I guess I probably should have read up on that... I guess I'll find out tomorrow with my tea.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pebeo-porcelaine-150-paint-markers/

Hrmmm it says to avoid contact with food, but they're nontoxic. So I'm wondering if food might just screw up the design? I'm assuming tea/coffee is fine since I've seen professional people selling similar items done with these markers.  I could be wrong though.

You might be able to put some sort of clear coat over to seal it up and make it okay to eat off and not mess up your design.

Sorry I'm not much help...I'm just playing for now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009 03:23:29 AM »

this is so cool...I love the music notes! Did you draw those? wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009 09:03:05 AM »

afaik you are really not supposed to use EVEN the pebeo where the food is going to go.
seriously, your drawings are great, but i would stop using them for food asap.  sorry, a bit of a safety freak here...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009 09:05:57 AM »

Thanks, nataluna.  That would be good if they were to put that on the packaging somewhere.  I drank my tea out of a mug this morning..I hope I'm not going to die! maybe that's why I have a headache.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoopdedoo_5

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009 09:50:41 AM »

naaa it will toughen ur stomach up a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009 09:52:31 AM »

lol.. um... no. I was going to send you a mug too..... but apparently you can't use it to drink out of. hrmm..

I wonder if Esther Coombs is suffering any repercussions from her cake stands and tea sets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoopdedoo_5

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009 09:54:24 AM »

lol.. um... no. I was going to send you a mug too..... but apparently you can't use it to drink out of. hrmm..

I wonder if Esther Coombs is suffering any repercussions from her cake stands and tea sets?

just do a design on the outside of the mug...i wont lick the mug off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009 09:59:29 AM »

Maybe I'll do that. I have one already done like that, but was going to send it to Danielle... she could probably get the death mug instead. Kidding. Smiley

Anyway, glad somebody informed me of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoopdedoo_5

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009 10:02:43 AM »

Maybe I'll do that. I have one already done like that, but was going to send it to Danielle... she could probably get the death mug instead. Kidding. Smiley

Anyway, glad somebody informed me of that.

could you make one for brock with paint on the inside? LMAO
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EveningGoddess
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009 12:56:44 PM »

love the mugs!!
AND i gotta say..that reading this thread..you all are the cutest EVER!!
So my two cents since I think you're so adorable and I wouldn't want anything yucky to happen to you!??
Don't eat or drink from those lovely ceramics..the paint doesn't stick enough to handle it..so it'll probably mess with the design and then you'll ingest it.
I have an idea though...what about painting over them with a clear nail enamel??
(I did that the other day to a decorated mug I bought on etsy that the paint wasn't really sticking to..)
Namaste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009 01:00:46 PM »

Oooh... thanks Namaste!  (love your name by the way).

I was wondering if there was some sort of a clear coat I could do to seal them.  I JUST figured out that if they chip THAT's how they're dangerous (duh).  Kind of like cheap teflon on pots.

I'll have to look for that.  I would assume if I'm handwashing my mugs and ONLY do tea in them that I should be okay...but I can't find anywhere that says it's not safe (besides the loverly people on craftster)...except for when it chips off. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

unsuperb
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009 10:38:33 PM »

First, the mugs are super cute!

And second, about the food safety aspect, I found a blog entry that discusses it here.  It appears that it is more of an issue with the possibility of cracking and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twobluestripes
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009 01:30:26 AM »

If you guys are interested in decorating like this with something more durable and safe, I highly recommend that you find access to a low-fire electric kiln! (You don't want to fire at high-fire because you don't know what temp the pieces you are decorating were originally fired at.) The low-fire we do at school is usually about Cone 05, I think. That temp is still pretty sturdy, and can go in the dishwasher and microwave.

You can paint with small brushes and low-fire glazes such as those by Stroke & Coat, or even use these underglaze pens I've found: http://www.dickblick.com/products/glaz-eze-underglaze-markers/
I've never tried them, but they seem intriguing! Then slap a couple coats of clear on top of it. Just make sure to buy everything lead free! Most low-fire glazes can be found in food safe formulas nowadays. I recently repainted a couple of ugly mugs from my cabinet with low-fire glaze into a stripey pattern, and I'll let you know how they turn out.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009 01:31:37 AM by twobluestripes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009 11:13:29 AM »

on the show She's Crafty today (or at least the one i saw today, i don't know if it's new or a rerun?) they used this new glaze that you can fire in your oven... I don't know what it's called because they didn't actually say a name or anything, very nice, but I do know it can be eaten off and such but isn't supposed to come in contact with very hot stuff (because it's permanent, but not that permanent)(??!!) the guy said. And it needs to be hand washed. But you can use it for cake plates and salads and such.

Sorry if that wasn't super helpful, but such things as what you seek do exist, sortof!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Color Splash Feathers
Everybody Poops.

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...