A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 315,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two dresses and an apron  (Read 3481 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

RawrBoogers
« on: March 24, 2009 11:50:52 AM »

Well I have been trying my hand at dresses lately. I have seen so many beautiful elegant lolita dresses on etsy and ebay, but I am poor and don't have 100-200 (and at conventions I go to, up to 500) dollars to shell out for one.
](Note Im not saying these are exactly lolita dresses, they aren't really.I was just inspired by the pretty ones I see and read about. If you're looking for real honest to goodness lolita clothing there are a bunch of people on this site who are AMAZING. Also, scroll down, someone posted a great link)
So I just went to my local fabric store, bought some nice fabric that was on sale, and a few spools of lace (the cheap kind) and went to town. I didn't use any specific patterns for these, just looked around for some tutorials and examples. My first one came out pretty good.

full body

sitting

I made this apron a few months ago, its a little too big for me at the top. I'm thinking of selling it to a friend or something (someone a bit larger in the bust than I am)

And finally a red and black...piratey? dress.

the skirt is alternating black and red. I added ruffles at the bottom and I am somewhat proud of them.

I didn't quite get the bell shape I was going for, probably because the fabric I used is a bit heavy. (it was on sale though >_> )
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009 01:58:30 PM by RawrBoogers » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a bit of ooooh shock treatment~
lauralyn
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009 12:26:26 PM »

these are a great start! and here's a tip- if you want to get that bell-shape for your next skirt, you will need the material to be at least 3x the size of your waist. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lavendeer.com

"Do you believe in something beautiful? Then get up and be it.." - Ted Leo
RawrBoogers
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009 12:40:07 PM »

these are a great start! and here's a tip- if you want to get that bell-shape for your next skirt, you will need the material to be at least 3x the size of your waist. Smiley
Thanks so much, I will keep that in mind for next time. n-n
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Iellwen
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009 06:36:01 PM »

She's right.  And buying a petticoat won't hurt a bit either.  They're lovely for that extra *POOF*  It's nice.

As far as the dresses themselves go, they're very nice, but for your sake, I'm going to tell you that they're not really lolita >.<  There are some great guidelines at these sites:

www.lolitafashion.org
http://lolita-handbook.livejournal.com/

I hope I'm not sounding rude!  It's just that some of the girls that are in to loli can get really, REALLY catty.  Your best defense against them is to do it right every time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009 11:34:19 PM »

She's right.  And buying a petticoat won't hurt a bit either.  They're lovely for that extra *POOF*  It's nice.

As far as the dresses themselves go, they're very nice, but for your sake, I'm going to tell you that they're not really lolita >.<  There are some great guidelines at these sites:

www.lolitafashion.org

I hope I'm not sounding rude!  It's just that some of the girls that are in to loli can get really, REALLY catty.  Your best defense against them is to do it right every time.

Lolis can be really mean!  Your stuff's really cute.  I really dig the red dress.  I bet it would look really cool in a plaid, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
RawrBoogers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009 01:31:11 PM »

www.lolitafashion.org

Lolis can be really mean!  Your stuff's really cute.  I really dig the red dress.  I bet it would look really cool in a plaid, too.
oh believe me I know n_n I have many books and sites logged about loli, these were just attempts with what I can afford. I'm still learning to sew so these were kinda easy for me. But thank you, and you don't seem rude. You're just trying to help a fellow craftster, which is very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lauralyn
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009 03:29:33 PM »

I think your best defense is to look better than them, while doing it wrong Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lavendeer.com

"Do you believe in something beautiful? Then get up and be it.." - Ted Leo
eleniel
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009 06:46:08 PM »

I think your best defense is to look better than them, while doing it wrong Wink

Quoted for TRUTH! Hehe.

These are really lovely, very unique.  Great job and can't wait to see more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009 09:14:11 PM »

I love the first one, and honestly I like your inspired stuff better the the "true" or whatever the rules are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Iellwen
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009 11:31:37 PM »

www.lolitafashion.org

oh believe me I know n_n I have many books and sites logged about loli, these were just attempts with what I can afford. I'm still learning to sew so these were kinda easy for me. But thank you, and you don't seem rude. You're just trying to help a fellow craftster, which is very nice.
Sorry it took me so long to reply . . .   I'm still learning to sew, too, and I've had less success than you . . . >.<   I agree with fluffybaka, though, you should play around with plaid. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Belgian Waffles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...