A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
183 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: selling cloth pads at craft fairs?  (Read 3381 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2009 09:15:40 AM »

I am a newbie to craft fairs, and am really excited to be participating in one next month. My items are going to be a mix of kid stuff (mixed crayons, i spy bags) and 'adult' stuff (journals, coffee cozies, bags). Low to mid-range of prices.

I am also thinking of including reusable pads in the line up. They were the biggest sellers from the Shop the Swap shop, and I have their production down flat. I am a bit concerned, however, about displaying a product that some people could have strong reactions against, or getting into a discussion about menstrual politics when I have people looking at purses.

Does anyone have thoughts, experience, advice? Either for display or carrying the product at all?

thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lustinthemovies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009 04:16:19 PM »

I would say a lot of it depends on the type of craft fair you will be displaying at. For example I would say maybe leave them at home if you're going to a higher end fair (with a lot of fine jewellery/handmade furniture displays etc), however if its going to be more sort of handmade purses and clothes I see no problem at all so long as they are displayed tastefully. I would think the vast majority of attendees would have no probem with it at all (indeed i would hope you might recieve some praise for promoting eco-friendly behaviour) but to avoid conflict perhaps keep it subtle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Lustinthemovies

http://lustinthemovies1989.blogspot.com/

Will exchange pixie skirt/ record bag/ handmade earrings/ other sewn paraphanalia/ true love/ my soul for knitty's 'cleaves' Smiley
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009 01:33:09 PM »

This sounds really strange but I have found it's true.If you package the item in say a box *like the cardboard one with the little windows* or in even a plastic baggy package with maybe a info care sheet people will be less likely to get "weirded" out over the item.Do ask me why but it seems to help.I guess it's some weird mental thing of feeling like it's behind a barrier and can't touch them.
I make artwork that some deem offensive and if you want people to feel less "threatened" by it it helps to put it in something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
edud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009 11:20:51 AM »

Thanks both for your feedback. The organizers seemed pumped about all my proposed items, including cloth pads, and I am assuming that most people would be generally accepting.

uglyshyla, your idea has got my mind going - I would never have thought of something like that, but it is definitely in the right direction. One of the biggest challenges for the reusable movement is breaking down the idea that products are not 'sanitary' - a large concept to fight, as the disposable industry has done much to promote the idea that period products need to be wrapped, plasticked, packaged, bleached. Putting some sort of eco-friendly wrapping on them might help...

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009 08:59:32 PM »

If you use the same fabrics or make the same styles you could also get a inexpensive like acrylic jewelry type  show case and put there in here.Like you do for thinks like coins of high end small items you don't want to have to worry about people grabbing and stealing.And you could keep your extra for sale stash under the table.Which is also helpful for freeing up table space.Then you don't have to individually bag each item.Plus it also helps sales wise because if you put out something in a display case as a display item it makes people worried you might not have a ton of them on hand and they will buy quicker.
Selling at craft fairs or events is like a study in social and mental behavior.LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009 11:58:54 AM »

If I were going to buy your cloth pads (and I've been wanting to try cloth pads out for months, but don't have easy access to a sewing machine right now), I'd prefer them individually packaged.  The idea of having every customer before me handling them squicks me out a bit, even though I would definitely wash them before use anyway.

A possibly more eco-friendly option than individual packaging might be to have a demo model with the others stashed away.  Maybe have sample fabrics out, too.

It might end up being too made-for-tv for some folks, but I would absolutely love it if I went to a fair, and someone selling these, and they had some kind of demo showing that they really were absorbent enough to work.  I have no idea how you'd go about doing this, though. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jarheadwed

I was a classy bride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009 01:27:00 PM »

I came across this by searching for cloth pads, would you be so kind to answer a question? Are there any regulations for selling cloth pads in the US?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009 09:20:48 AM »

uglyshyla: Thanks again for the feedback. You are bringing new thoughts to my planning process - I love it.

fantasticmio: Thanks for the heads up about the individual packaging. I have been using the reusables for so long that I am fairly seasoned. I appreciate your perspective. I will think about the demo too! That is a neat idea!

Jarheadwed: I live in Canada, so I wouldn't be of help with US regs. However, since the pad isn't used internally, I would think there would be any more regulation than that for selling underwear. I have purchased them from craft fairs, women's collectives, and health food stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009 09:29:18 AM »

You're in Canada, eh?  (Wow... didn't mean to be stereotypical there!)  I am too... I don't suppose the fair you're going to is near Toronto at all?

Feel free to PM if you want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
June 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...