A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
159 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Granola bars  (Read 2540 times)
Tags for this thread: bread , granola , granola_bar  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Blackstitches
« on: March 17, 2009 05:53:54 AM »

I have been wanting to try my hand at granola bars for a while and finally set down and came up with a recipe. These bars are pretty substantial and have about 220 calories a piece which may seem like a lot but they have a ton of good stuff for you and would make a good breakfast or lunch on the go, you could also half them for a low cal snack. I was really surprised by how good they turned out, I had a few people over when I made them initially and they each ate a few and commented on how much they liked them. Even bug who is almost two loved them (just make sure you only give little pieces as the nuts could pose choking hazards). So here is the recipe and I hope you enjoy.

Granola bars:

10 oz. mixed nuts -I used walnuts, pistachios and pecans
1 c. hulled sunflower seeds
3 packages instant oatmeal, brown sugar flavor
1c. dried fruit- I used a mix of cherries and blueberries
3/4 c. Splenda brown sugar
1 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips

In a saucepan heat the Splenda brown sugar with the honey, vanilla and salt until sugar dissolves. If your nuts are not roasted you will need to roast them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes watching carefully. Mine were already roasted when I bought them. Place your nuts, oatmeal, sunflower seeds and berries in a bowl and mix. Pour the hot sugar mixture over the top and quickly stir to cover, mix until thoroughly combined. Add chips and stir. In a 13x9 inch pan lay a piece of parchment paper so that it overhangs the sides by a few inches. Lightly grease with spray oil pour mixture into prepred pan and evenly spread with a rubber spatula. place another piece of parchment on top and using a heavy pan press down hard a few times over the surface to evenly press the granola bar mixture. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely and use the parchment paper as handles to lift the cooled mixture out and onto a cutting board. Carefully remove the parchment and cut into 16 even pieces. Wrap tightly and store for up to a week.

I also made some German rye bread with this recipe   http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/bread-machine-recipes/german-rye-bread.htm

For more info visit my blog: http://livingindomesticity.blogspot.com/2009/03/homemade-granola-bar-recipe.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Good lord have mercy on a country girl, trying to make a living in a rhinestone world."- Dolly Parton
www.livingindomesticity.blogspot.com
www.irisharperdesigns.etsy.com
dealupa

a tumble of beads

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009 05:32:12 AM »

Yum!  I love making granola bars and those look delicious!  Dried cherries and chocolate chips sound really tasty. 

I usually use regular rolled oats and toast them on a tray in the oven with wheat germ  and whatever nuts/seeds I'm using before adding them to the gooey-sugar mixture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009 06:25:53 AM »

Yum! Both of these foods look delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momma2many
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009 07:47:38 AM »

yummm that looks good
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009 01:48:33 PM »

mmmmmmm yummy!  Does splenda measure out the same as plain old brown sugar?  And are they crunchy or chewy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!
facebook
Blackstitches
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009 02:15:49 PM »

If you use regular brown sugar you will need 1 1/2 cups, Splenda is sweeter so you use less of it.  The granola bars are chewy not crunchy, but the nuts give a little crunch to it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Good lord have mercy on a country girl, trying to make a living in a rhinestone world."- Dolly Parton
www.livingindomesticity.blogspot.com
www.irisharperdesigns.etsy.com
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009 08:44:39 PM »

mmmm I prefer chewy!   And thank you for letting me know about the regular sugar vs Splenda.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wrote a book!!! A book on spinning! You can find it here: The Trifecta of Hand Spun Yarn
 website with links to everything!
facebook
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Cute Crib Sheets
April 24, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...