A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making red colorfast?  (Read 1844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kiyaani_girl
« on: March 07, 2009 08:33:07 AM »

Okay so I have a red fabric I've used in the past and didn't prewash and it ended up bleeding big time  Tongue

Is there a way to make fabric colorfast in addition to prewashing? (I'm converted, I prewash now)  Like something I can add to the wash that's gonna keep the dye on the fabric?  I'm worried I just wash this red and it's still gonna bleed to some degree prewashed or not.

I'd like to use up the remnant, but otherwise guess it's going in the trash. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009 12:12:21 PM »

I usually heatset with an iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
music.addict
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009 07:48:56 AM »

after prewashing, I add vinegar to the last rinsing water. Quite much vinegar - well, it's cheap, isn't it? I was told at my local quilt shop to do so in these cases. My experience so far is good, though I'm quite new to this, and still have not washed my red-and-yellow quilt after finishing (or even finished it...). So I can't give any guarantees that is reeeally works, but I'm counting on it myself...
Best regards, Carolin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009 06:55:23 AM »

There is a product called Retayne that works 90% of the time. Dharma Trading is a great company with great customer service but it is also sold at some quilt stores or places that sell fabric dyes.

Vinegar, as mentioned above works sometime so you might try that first.

The main thing it to check your fabric after you try anything. Throw it in the wash with a white piece of cotton fabric or a white towel. If the white is still white then you should be OK. Incedentally - that is a good tip for anytime you "prewash" fabric. often folks prewash thinking they have taken care of excess dye and problems with color running but usually if a fabric is going to run 1 wash alone won't do the trick. The only way to tell is to wash it with something white.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiyaani_girl
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009 12:52:58 PM »

Great advice thanks ladies, no sense in wasting fabric is there  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...